15 July 2008

How Do You Spell E-N-C-O-U-R-A-G-E-M-E-N-T?

Let me set the scene for you:

The phone rings for the third time in five minutes. Jeter has been unsuccessful in locating any of the portable phones. So I get up with a sigh of disgust at my swollen ankle to rescue the ringing phone.

It's my sis.

We chat.

I tell her what's up and why I'm feeling down. She reminds me that I am healing and I start to feel a little better. It's after 9:30AM and I'm letting her know that I won't get to her house until around 11:30AM - giving me time to shower, get ready, get the boys ready and get out of the house. It wouldn't normally take me this long but I'm just not moving as fast lately.

I hear a knock on the front door.

Are you kidding me?!?

I'm still in my pj's and my hair is - well, have you ever seen hair after it has been in a pony tail the previous day but it isn't now? Let's just say sooooooooooooo not my finest moment.

Dog is barking like a maniac.

Barber's playing in the family room.

Jeter is trying to see who is at the front door. Let's just say his gifting doesn't lend itself to a 007 life.

Person is not leaving.

Did I also mention that I didn't put my glasses on yet so the blurry image that I can see is SO NOT HELPING!

Mortified.

I finally send Jeter upstairs (which means he is walking by the front door) to get me some clothes.

I can't even look in a mirror and asses the level of dishevelment because the bathroom is in the hallway that leads to the front door.

Finally, Jeter realizes WHO it is and I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Mr. Ruda. A family friend. One who will not judge me. Phew.

The dog is removed to the backyard and Jeter invites him in.

Did I mention the shape of the house? Nope. Sink full of dishes. Minimal counter space is visible. Toys spewed all over the family room floor. Ugh.

So I smile through it all and he says "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

I assure him that my delay in answering the door had nothing to do with fear.

Then he told me why he stopped by. He finished work (I was struggling to start my day and he was already driving home from a full day of work!) and felt that he needed to pray for me. And he did.

It isn't exactly what I would have ordered but it is what I needed. My foot is still swollen and bugging me. But my faith is renewed and strengthened. Thank you God.

So, if this entire experience could be spelled out into one word I would say it would be E-N-C-O-U-R-A-G-E-M-E-N-T.

2 comments:

Livin' Life said...

That's awesome!! We are standing in prayer for you guys.

BTW There is something I can't do (actually many things) I can't make cakes!!! Honestly the last time I did it fell apart and the boys couldn't even recognize what it was supposed to be. :) So we get ice cream cakes now.

Trish said...

What a wonderful story! It is so amazing what happens when someone listens and responds to what God tells them to do (even if they aren't sure why!)

I hope you are feeling better very soon. Sorry I have been so out of the loop lately - between our vacation and 5MFSN, I have been completely overwhelmed.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...