16 July 2008

Growing Up J&B

Boys. Brothers. Friends.

This summer has been both wonderful and a challenge - without adding the whole ankle ordeal. I know that Jeter and Barber love each other but sometimes they really get on each others nerves - and therefore mine. This summer, I'm attempting to be intentional in allowing individual time as well as promoting activities for them to do together. It's not easy but I believe it is worth it.

Just 10 minutes ago I had to intervene and bring Barber into the other room and discuss the way he was treating Jeter. We talked about attitude and the choices he was making. He apologized and prayed asking for forgiveness and for Jesus to help him. I silently prayed that he would remember these words and that we wouldn't have to discuss this again (at least for 30 minutes) - crying out for Holy Spirit intervention as he walked in to join Jeter again.

Within 5 minutes Barber returned and told me he wanted to make a card for his brother. He folded the paper and brought me a pencil asking me to write his words for him. This is what he wanted to say to Jeter - there were two notes on the same card.

To Jeter,
I had a fun day with you. I love you. I love you a whole bunch. I love you the whole day. You are my best friend ever. You are my best friend too. I am special to you.
Barber

To Jeter,
I love you very much. Someday I will be good to you. I love you a whole bunch and I like you. Do you know that I'm your good buddy?
Love, Barber


Finally he started to draw a picture. He became a little frustrated and then asked me to help him draw a picture of him and Jeter holding hands. I am so not the artist - stick figures to the rescue!

It is at moments like this that encourage me to continue to deal with the tough lessons that seem to be part of raising boys - trusting that they will truly grow and mature into strong, bold and loving men.

And now I have to go and remind Barber that banging Jeter with balloons while he is watching Little House on the Prairie is not showing him the love he just wrote about!

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...