The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. ~Joe Ancis
What is normal??? Do you know anyone that you would classify as normal? Why/why not? Do you agree/disagree with this quote? Post your thoughts in the comments section or leave a link to your own blog. I'll post mine later today as well.
Or tomorrow...LOL
Growing up I assumed my life was normal. I had a mom and dad who loved me and a sister who was my best friend. Rice was white and so was bread. We had Rice Krispies or Raisin Bran for breakfast - Frosted Flakes was a super special treat and was only going to happen if we went with Dad to PathMark (it was almost a sure thing if he was hungry too!). Dinners consisted largely of broiled chicken with rice and vege, pasta or fish.
Sometimes I compared myself to others - I didn't have the designer jeans or the latest hairstyle. I saw them as special and adapted a new facet to my definition of normal - not special. I viewed myself this way for too many years - and it wasn't truly broken off of me until my high school experience. College began and I realized that I wasn't normal - if this is defined as what is common or thinking that majority rules = normal. I was far from it. There were so many foods that I had never heard of before. They had dressing with their turkey (we called it stuffing) and they ate ham and other things that I had never heard of before or we only ate on special occasions. I met so many people that didn't have a family like mine - they weren't close and had no desire to develop a friendship with their parents and/or siblings. Now I saw myself as weird. Since them I've simply determined that I like being weird - and that is actually special.
Within my own little world of weirdness, normalcy has also evolved over time. In 14+ years Simms and I have moved from DINKS (double income no kids) to DINKSOD (double income no kids one dog) to DIOKSOD (double income one kid one dog) to OITKSOD (one income two kids one dog). Responsibilities changed and sacrifices were made with each new phase. Food habits have also changed; I cannot eat chocolate anymore without gaining weight (totally not fair). Normal bread and rice is now brown not white (pasta too!). We eat more whole grains and attempt to eliminate many processed foods. Green veges are a major part of almost every dinner (it just doesn't work with pizza). I actually like peas now. Simms swallows them whole - he still won't chew them.
Through it all I've learned that no matter what phase I am in there are constants. In our home laughter and friendship are key components. Prayer is also constant - which means that our relationship with God is at the core of our livelihood. We unconditionally respect and love each other. Is this normal? Depends on whose standards are being referenced. For me, having these constants in a sea of change is what keeps me sane AKA normal - which you are free to define as weird or abnormal if you want. LOL.
2 comments:
Okay! I'm in! Finally, a Monday morning to relax a little. Thanks for this week's quote - you'll see, I've had a lot brewing here - connected to the topic!
Hope all your guys are recovering well and that you can rest up a bit yourself!
You encouraged me to do this! Enjoy - it is piece-mealed together and a little bit of babbling, but that is where I am right now!
Thanks for hosting!
Post a Comment