05 September 2007

What Is A Featured MTM?

Is it in your nature to multi-task? Most women nod in agreement. I needed to qualify my answer - I definitely multi-tasked in the workplace but not really in my home. Of course this was before Jeter and Barber entered our family. I actually didn't know this (lack of multi-tasking) about myself until Simms and I were married. We were getting ready to go out when he started to tell me about his day. Simms emerged from the closet dressed and ready to go and I was still working on my stockings! How did that happen? Apparently, once I was engaged in conversation, everything else stopped. Once again, we didn't fit the typical stereotypes - Simms had no problem focusing on two things at the same time and I was only able to focus on one task at a time. We won't even get into the fact that he daily tells me all about his day (and I am talking details) - I don't even have to ask, although he appreciates it when I do.

I desire to highlight the good in this - the fact that I was 100% engaged in the conversation Simms and I were having. The problem with that is it insinuates that Simms wasn't and that isn't at all accurate. How, I ask you, is it possible for me to be able to multi-task and excel in the workplace (I taught high school biology, molecular biology and anatomy and physiology; participated in committees and handled budget; coordinated and advised students that participated in local and state science competitions; I even filled in for the Department Head when she was out on maternity leave) and yet become narrowly focused at home?

I don't know the clinical answer but now I believe it is because I wasn't a mom yet. Multi-tasking is a means of survival! How else is one supposed to keep up with laundry, have a clean sink, wipe the boogied nose, coordinate everyone's schedules and make sure the bills are paid all while kindly requesting the telemarketer to remove my name from his list? Maybe the two sides of my brain recognized that they needed to work together on this one and now I was able to apply my multi-tasking abilities to my home? Or maybe the timing was right for God to pour into me what I needed to be the mom He created me to be. Either way, multi-tasking is not an option for me anymore.

With that said, even though my skill set has greatly improved, I still enjoy learning about new products or tips/tricks of mommyhood that allow me to be more effective and efficient. This is one reason why I truly appreciate the site Multi-Tasking Moms. They are all real moms with real kids who are daily providing valuable information about how to get through very real days. Imagine my surprise when I was invited to be a Featured MTM?!?

You don't believe me? Click on over to Multi-Tasking Moms and see for yourself. I think it would be appropriate for me to summarize with a quote from an old hymn:

To God be the glory...great things He has done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great link! Thanks for posting it and nice post on MTM. :)

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...