02 September 2007

Clowns and Courage

In the last year, Barber had been gripped by fear when he was around anyone dressed up in costume - clowns, school mascots, athletic mascots (Hershey Bears for example). Obviously we have no happy pictures with him and the candy bar guys at Hershey Park. The individual/character could be far far away but as long as they were within his line of vision, Barber would leap into mine or Simms' arms and hold on tight.

I can't empathize with this particular fear because it has never phased me. Simms was never affected and neither was Jeter. However, I do know the crippling effect of fear and I didn't want Barber to be prevented from walking fully in the plans and purposes God has for him. My hearts desire was for him to conquer this fear while he was young. I just didn't know exactly how to make that happen.

When incidents occurred we would give him the comfort he needed and explain to him that it was merely someone dressed up. In my quiet time I would pray that God would set him free from this fear.

Our church had a preschool VBS program in the middle of August this year. The children learned about David; the shepherd and musician, the conqueror of Goliath due to his faith in God, and his destiny to become king. On the second day Barber's teacher focused on David's great faith and how God gave him courage to stand against the giant. She then explained that God can do that for them too; no matter what they might be afraid of, God can give them courage and defeat that fear in the name of Jesus.

She then led them in this simple but powerful prayer:

Fear, go away in Jesus' name!

The children repeated it with her a number of times. She emphasized that they speak with authority and courage believing that God would answer them.

Something happened. I didn't know what exactly but I could sense that there were things broken off of these kids. Age doesn't matter people - these 3 year olds were being touched and changed.

Craft time was next. They were coloring little bags and then making 5 stones out of modeling clay. Barber called me over (I was a helper) and asked me "How I draw clowns, Mommy?" Surprised I said "You want to draw a clown on your bag?" "Yes." he answered. So we drew clowns on his bag - both sides. Then he asked me "How I draw a stone Mommy?" I told him to just draw circles. I began to realize what was happening as I saw him drawing circles on the clowns. Then it was time for the children to form their 5 stones. While making his stones Barber said to me "I getting courage Mommy." I asked "What are you getting courage for?" And he declared, "I not afraid of clowns anymore!" A lump rose in my throat and my eyes filled with tears as I realized my little boy had been set free from this fear!!!

Thanksgiving filled my heart.

Just 3 days ago our township had their annual All Sports Parade. Jeter and Simms participate in it because of their involvement with soccer. Our school's mascot, the black panther is also present. When Barber saw the mascot, his grip did not tighten. Instead he calmly inquired "What's that Mommy?" I explained it was the school's mascot and he said "Oh...can I meet him?" He couldn't at that point but I told him he could wave and he did, repeatedly, calling "Hello panther!" while he waved.

Thank you Lord for confirmation of what you have done in Barber's life. Thank you that already, at the age of 3, he knows how to do battle against fear. Thank you for reminding me and countless others that children are never too young - they can comprehend and apply spiritual truths.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh I am so glad!! Praise the Lord!

Melissa said...

This is such an inspriration to anyone ages 3 to 90!

All of mine went through this stage and while we calmly and rationally tried to explain to them that there was nothing to fear, we did not emphasis enough that Jesus can help them feel safe. We do it more now that they are older, but we could've started sooner.

Plus, sometimes it was just so darn funny to watch them eat pizza under the table in Chocolate World so the "Peanut Butter Cup" wouldn't see them, but then again I can be a little whacked sometimes! I've since repented.

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Wow!!

When I was a little girl I was TERRIFIED of mascots, clowns, even Santa Claus. I didn't want to see Smokey the Bear when he came to our school to teach about fire safety, and if someone was having a birthday party at McDonalds and had hired a clown, I wouldn't go. I wish I had been in his vacation bible school class!!

Promises said...

Oh, this brought me to tears. So many times I think that parents almost make fun of their child or brush it off of they have a fear about something. I love your example of how you pray about it and God is so faithful!

You had not told me the part about VBS - that is so cool! Go Barber! Go God!!! PTL!!!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...