08 June 2007

Walking Down Memory Lane...

Today marks the last day of school for Jeter. I went into my pre-blogging archives and found this (edited for the blog). Just consider yourself warned - this is a L-O-N-G post...

First Day of School! First Day of School!
Tuesday August 29, 2006

I don’t believe that Jeter had quite the enthusiasm that Nemo did however Nemo didn’t have to ride the bus. He had the security of swimming with his Dad the whole way until he arrived at the school. This was pretty much what Jeter had last year with pre-school – Mommy drove him there and dropped him off. It got to the point that I didn’t even get a “high five” anymore; fortunate to get a “good-bye”. But for this year’s Kindergartner, a bus ride was part of the deal – and if he could, it probably would be a deal breaker. But alas, that was not a plausible option.

So at 7:50am we began our walk to the bus stop. Jeter was “walking fast” like a jog. That was a good sign – enthusiasm about the first day of school. Hooray! We were the first ones there - very early. Oh well. Now we know that the bus won’t typically arrive until 8:15. So we know to start our walk at 8:00am to make sure we get there by 8:10am. Still like to be a little early. Apparently the neighborhood boys that Jeter knows are all having their “official” first day tomorrow (We are going to Hershey Park!) and then they will all be there for the second day of school on Thursday. So there is Jeter and a whole bunch of elementary kids at the bus stop. He is not thrilled but he is holding it together rather well and smiling for the camera. Here comes the yellow bus around the corner – Mommy has the video camera going and Grammie is snapping pictures. Daddy was preparing to go to his car - and then Jeter turns with grave concern on his face. A look that says “intervene NOW because I am about to lose it!” Daddy walks to Jeter and he (Jeter) tells Simms that he is scared. Daddy enthusiastically points out that his soccer teammate is in the front seat with an empty spot next to him and he (Daddy) gets the boys attention. When he sees Jeter, his little face lights up. All of this, of course, is being witnessed through the watery eyes of Mommy – at least the video will be clear. I see my courageous 5 year old walk on the bus with head timidly held high. I don’t know which emotion is stronger - proud of him for boldly stepping on the bus or heart breaking for his vulnerability. The driver checks his tag and he sits next to his teammate. Don’t know what he was thinking. Don’t know exactly how he was feeling. All I knew was that he was in his DADDY’s hands now (not the earthly one) and I knew that HE had orchestrated all of this. He knew that Jeter would not have the comfort of the neighborhood boys being present – He is the one that put Jeter’s soccer team together – He knew that his teammate would sit in the seat where Simms could spot him – and He knew that no one would sit with Jeter's teammate because HE had saved that seat for Jeter. Thank you Lord! Thank you for loving my son SO MUCH that you took care of ALL the details that I didn’t know about and couldn’t plan for. I continue to learn about your nature as I see your hand in the lives of my children. Simms didn’t drive straight to work but rather took the long way past the elementary school and witnessed Jeter getting off the bus and being led by a helper into the school to his classroom. Simms said he looked tentative but wasn’t crying. THANK YOU JESUS! My little boy is growing up! And even though I am crying this very moment (let the rivers flow) I am so proud and filled with great anticipation for the fulfillment of ALL God has planned for my son.

So, I get home and it feels strange to just have Barber at my side. My dear friend Mirror Mirror called to see how “Mommy” was doing. She is so great! Barber and I went to Grammie and Poppy’s for breakfast and then we went to the park to play at Barber's speed. New for him – he didn’t have his big brother to try to keep up with. He was able to choose what he wanted to do. This will be a growing year for both of them! Nap time at Noon and then what is the Mommy to do?!? My house is clean thanks to my Fly Lady Routines. I have done two more loads of laundry (so now it is done for the week) and crocheted a bit but didn’t feel like I could do anything without documenting this and getting it all down. So here I am now. It is 2:10pm and Barber can sleep another hour before I get him up to make our walk to the bus stop again. I have a present ready for my big school boy waiting for him and cannot wait to hear all about school. Hopefully he will tell me all about it…you never know!

Lil' sis called me this afternoon and told me that Brady’s surgery went well. Was today a BIG day for our family or what.? Lots of praying going on. Seriously, I have prayed multiple times for Jeter today. So - this is what it is really like. I do faintly remember that when he was 3 months old and I went back to work – how I would think about him often throughout my workday (for 3 years) and pray for him. So here we are again. Wow. And I have another 3 years before Barber walks in these shoes. The blessing is that I know God’s protective and loving hand surrounds , envelops and holds them. This just continues to confirm that right now, at this point in my life, they are my ministry!

“I can’t wait to go back again!”
This was the first beloved statement I heard from my son after he got off the bus. Never mind that the bus was VERY LATE (4pm). It was so wonderful to see the bus pull up and a smile on his face. To see him wait patiently to get off and then come down the stairs and get to me quickly for a hug without breaking the bus safety rules (no running). Thank you LORD. The best was yet to come. After he told me about a variety of things (all important but I have to get to what made my heart leap with joy and gave me watery eyes again), began snack, talked to Daddy on the phone and got his special present…then I asked him about this morning with getting on the bus. He told me how the bus driver had to check everyone’s name and tag for the first day of school and that she was telling the children where to sit.
Jeter: “I hoped in my heart that she would tell me to sit next to my teammate and she did!”

I smiled.

Jeter: “You know what that shows me?”

Mommy: “What?”

Jeter: “That God really does answer your prayers”.
Chokes me up everytime. My son, at 5 has learned such a vital lesson. Thank you Lord

Today...I am in awe as to what God had planned for this year. We went through some tough stuff...BUT HE was always there and I can see how each incident was used by HIM to bring a new level of growth and maturity in Jeter's life. To God be the glory - He has truly done great things!

As if this post hasn't taken up enough of your time, these are some excellent examples of what God has done this year. Note that these posts were prior to the name changes...

"That's Not Fair"
My Agenda or HIS Objective
Praying When You Don't Know the "Why's" or "How's"
Passing the Baton
Just Another Morning
Teaching Integrity
Etching His Word
"I Have to Tell You Something Funny..."
Morning Offering

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh goodness. You made me cry. That doesn't happen often. How beautiful. Because I know all of you, and Grammie too, I could picture that moving scene at the bus stop. What an amazing little boy you have!

Melissa said...

Awesome.

God is good and He is faithful!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...