I recall learning scripture in children's church or at home - mainly with my mom. She would also pray scripture over us and encourage us with the Word of God. One such scripture was Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me". There was also a short stint when I attended a Christian School where we were required to memorize parts of the Bible.
Since then I have learned about two terms that refer to how to know the Word of God - Logos and Rhema. They encompass knowing scripture through memorization as well as through an understanding of what is written so that it becomes part of your life. I believe that neither one is better than the other - BOTH are equally important - and yet for years now, I have not committed scripture to memory.
So.
Jeter and I are now learning scriptures together and it has been so much fun! Yes, I said memorizing has been fun! I print out the verse in a LARGE font and we memorize a portion of the scripture each night before he goes to bed. When we have successfully memorized the verse, the paper is then posted in his room. Jeter told me that he can't wait until his whole wall is filled up! I wonder how long that will take. God has faithfully provided the scriptures for us to learn and I have even overheard Jeter praying these verses over his brother and daddy while he is at work. It doesn't always fit - we don't want Daddy to "lie down and sleep in peace" while he is working! - but, I believe that God is using this to do more in Jeter's life than I can see.
So far we have memorized the following:
- Psalms 4:8 "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."
- Psalms 130:5 "I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope."
- Psalms 37:4 "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."
We are currently working on Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Before the scripture is posted, we discuss how these truths apply to our lives today. I know it is challenging me...prayerfully these words will never leave Jeter and the truth will be etched in his life/heart forever.
2 comments:
That is so cool! You are sowing so much into JCC's life right now, as well as your own. You are an encouragement and an inspiration! I am SO looking forward to memorizing scripture with my little guy! All that he can say right now is mama, dada (and he does not say them that much anymore!), and bah (for bear, ball, anything that begins with a "B" - but I know that he is saying the word in his mind!).
I do enjoy praying the scriptures that I know over my little pumpkin - the Word is powerful! You are equipping JCC for his future!
That is great! Here are some great tools that I have used with EJ. I have the Hide Em In Your Heart CD's. Both my kids are now singing the scriptures. Also, after we finish one scripture, we make sure that during the following weeks we go over it again, here and there. Last week, I taught him a scripture verse in one day just by adding it to a melody. He had it down immediately and can sing it to you even now! EJ teaches Z scripture in life circumstances now. I love it!
BTW - of course, b/c I am teaching him scripture, I am learning it too!
Post a Comment