16 May 2007

What's In A Name?

How did you decide to name your children? Was it because you liked the name? Was a name given because of someone famous? Did family heritage play a role? Did you want something unique or prefer a traditional name?

We didn't select a name for our boys until time was spent in prayer and research. For me, the meaning behind the name is HUGE and that played a big role in the process. I am aware that unless you know my family, you don't really know their names. Sorry to disappoint, but this isn't the unveiling of their names in cyberspace. However due to multiple requests to use "real" names rather than initials, I have consented and embarked on finding suitable names for my family members.

This is not an easy task for me. I know this is "bloggyville" but names are still important to me and I am all about them "making sense" - at least to me. I can't just pick any name out there because I will want to know what it means and if that works or not. Then something "clicked" when I was with some girlfriends last night. I am one of the few among us (mommy bloggers) that writes about sports. I truly enjoy sports. Our whole family does. Don't misunderstand, we aren't crazy, pent up people whose world pivots on how well a team does but we are sports fans. Period.

So here are the new names:

My almost 6 year old will now be known as Jeter. If you are unaware, he is named after Derek Jeter, the shortstop of the New York Yankees. All Red Sox fans should stop booing now. He is actually very excited about his cybername - they both wear the number "2".

My 3 year old will now be known as Barber. Are you sensing a New York theme? Good for you. He is named after Tiki Barber, the former running back of the New York Giants and incidentally they were both born in April.

My husband. I thought I had a great name for him. I was going to call him Coach. He has coached both soccer and t-ball for Jeter and will continue once Barber starts playing as well. He (JC) didn't like it. Said it was boring. Considering he rarely reads, it shouldn't matter, but it does. Remember names are important to us. I foolishly suggested Soup Daddy because of the Campbell tie but there is no sports thing to it and so I really didn't want that and yet he liked it better than Coach. What to do...what to do... Well, as of this morning, he will now be known as Simms. Here is how we tie it together. He has some physical features similar to Phil Simms of the New York Giants and the position Simms played is significant. He was the quarterback who has a responsibility to be a strong leader of the team. My husband (along with me) carries that responsibility for this family.

Me? My call letters will still be TCC.

So there you have it. Our new names.

***UPDATE: The names have been completely changed in the archives***

5 comments:

Kelli said...

sounds good to me, TCC :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me too - now I will not have to think too hard about who is JCC and who is JC.

I really think that you should have a name too - but I guess it does not really matter! :)

Say Anything said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love the new names. I'm proud of you for stretching your cerebrum. You CAN be creative!

Anonymous said...

I too love the new names. And they don't surprise me a bit - you New YOWKEH you :) We feel so strongly about names, too - probably owing to a great series of parenting sermons that Larry Titus did YEARS ago, and one of the segments was on choosing a name that your kids can grow into in the spirit. I still hold that in my heart, and feel like I have waaaay more names than I do plans for more kids! I don't know what that means for my future :)

Anonymous said...

Great names.
I didn't realize that you were quite the sports family! So are we. We play them, we watch them and we read about them! Nice to know a fellow lady blogger that I can discuss the latest baseball, football or whatever game with! :)
Sandy

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...