13 May 2007

Faith + Prayer + Love = Ingredients for Mommyhood

Today is Mother's Day.

Simms and I took care of the 3 year old room today at church. When I picked up my sons, they each had a special card that they made just for me. These are treasures to me. We then went to the Macaroni Grill for lunch. Jeter sat by me and we were able to play tic-tac-toe and work on the word search. He wrote the following on the paper tablecloth:

"Happy Mother's Day Mom tho I wish it was Father's Day. I think there should be a Brother's Day. Love, Jeter"

When we decide which day is Brother's day, we'll be sure to let you know. It was a big day for him; he dipped his bread in the oil that had pepper on it and he also tried a piece of calamari (squid) knowing exactly what it was he was eating! My little boy has really grown up! He also announced to us today that he has two loose teeth instead of just one. Wow.

Barber sat with his Daddy (that was a huge Mother's Day gift to me) - meaning he was next to Simms in the booster for awhile but then he was on Simms' lap. I was able to enjoy my meal using both my hands - cutting my meat as I ate rather then cutting and preparing it all ahead of time so that I would only need to use one hand to feed myself!

Being "Mommy" to my two sons is very real indeed however there are times when I think "Really? I am really at this phase in my life? I truly have two boys?" Maybe no one else does that. Oh well. I do. I am amazed and in awe of where I am in life. I don't get overwhelmed by it though. It is just like a kind of "wow" moment and then it passes. I believe that one reason why I don't get overwhelmed or freak out is because of the foundation that has been established for me by my mom...the Grammie to my boys.

She is an amazing woman. Even as an adult I don't feel as though I can truly comprehend the role she has played in my life. She essentially taught me what it means to be "mom".

LOVE: Her love was and is unconditional. I know that there were definitely times in my life when my actions were not pleasing. I wasn't always respectful. But I never was fearful of not being loved. My mom may have been disappointed in a choice I had made but she never stopped loving me or withheld her love from me. She was always quick to forgive my actions/attitude upon my repentance and would not throw it in my face at a later date. This is why I am able to forgive and forget. This is why I am able to consistently show my sons that they are loved and are special...no matter what.

PRAYER WARRIOR: I went through a phase in high school and college where I wasn't sure if I wanted to have children. Not because I didn't want to be a mom but rather I felt it would be unfair to bring children into this world - a world that is threatening to their innocence in so many horrific ways. God changed my heart and my Mom exemplified how to raise children that will walk in the ways of our Lord and under His protection. She is an intercessor and a prayer warrior. I know that every area of my life has been covered in prayer. She prayed for my future spouse, for the teachers I would have in school, for test days, my health, etc. You name it, she prayed. She still prays. She taught me how to pray. It is my turn now as mom...and I pray for my boys with confidence that my words are not in vain and that they most certainly make a difference in their lives - everyday. Jeter and Barber are doubly blessed however - their Mommy and their Grammie pray for them daily.

FAITH: There were many mornings, when we were getting ready for school, I would see Mom come out of the kitchen...on the table sat a glass of water and her Bible, open to whatever book she was reading that day. Amidst any circumstance, I knew that her faith in God was (and still is) the cornerstone of her life, her marriage to my Dad and her mothering of me and lil' sis.

I could tell you that she is the one that taught me how to bake - that is why all brownies, pancakes and cookies are made from scratch...no boxes allowed. I could tell you about her singing in the car and how I always wanted to sing harmony like her (we are both altos). I could tell you about the corsages she made for our birthdays (a bow, paper, pipe cleaners and candy can make a little girl grin and feel special ALL day long!) and that is probably one reason why birthdays are still so special to me. I could tell you how she didn't successfully teach me how to sew (oh but she tried!). I could tell you how no matter what we are doing, if we are together it is time well spent. I could tell you how she passed down to me a love of reading. Yes, each of these things have played a part in who I am today. But, as my children grow and mature, I know that it is the foundation of faith, coverage in prayer, and unconditional love that will forever impact their lives and spur them on to fulfill the call that God has for them. I aspire to be that kind of Mom to Jeter and Barber.

7 comments:

Kelli said...

Aren't we just so blessed to have these examples?
And I think it does have something to do with Long Island ;)

Anonymous said...

We are so blessed to have the Mom that we have. As I thought about it today (before reading your post), I was in awe of Mom and all that she did for us, and still does for us - she is a one of a kind, and I love her to pieces. She is an excellent example of a Mom!

Kelli said...

Just so the boys know, according to http://brownielocks.com/may.html May 24th is Brother's Day and I plan to celebrate it. :)

Mrs. C said...

Oh my there is an actual day already set! JCC said it was going to be June 1st and I was hoping to create a "Brother's Day" NOT in the spring. This April - June time is taxing on me with schedules (6 major bdays, 1 anniversary, sports galore, Mother's and Father's Days, etc.). With that said, thanks Classic Mama for the info...my boys will be THRILLED!

Barb said...

I'm just dropping in to thank you for your sweet comment, TCC. It's been a week now since Cameron's diagnosis. With each passing day we become a little more accepting that this is his new life. Thank you for taking time to let me know you care.

And this is a wonderful post. I'm a little late but Happy Mother's Day to you, too.

Kelli said...

I've nominated you for the Thinking Blogger Award. :) Check out my post.

Natalie said...

What an awesome tribute! Don't ever take for granted the gem that you have in your mom.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...