02 March 2007

"I Have to Tell You Something Funny..."

This was what Jeter's teacher opened with the other day. What followed are the two tales found below.

1. Earlier this week she had some extra time so while the students were on the carpet she opened it up for some "share time". When she called on Jeter he said "I have a prayer request." She said she wasn't sure if she heard him correctly so she asked him to repeat himself. She heard him just fine. So she asked him what it was. He then told her that he had started to get a cold and so his Mommy and Daddy had set up a humidifier in his room at night. She asked him if he was feeling better. He said yes. She then thanked him and invited another student to share.

2. Another day this week the class overall were misbehaving at one of their specials. When she brought them back to the classroom she talked to them about their behavior and that they should treat others as they want to be treated. She then asked (rhetorically, I'm sure) if their Mommy's or Daddy's ever taught them about this. Jeter piped up and said "Yes. God even says that in the Bible". She said "Yes he does".

There are so many things going on inside of me. I am so proud of my son - for his boldness to speak up. For the security he has in who he is (as well as his innocence) that he is willing to talk about God in a public forum. I am thankful for the teacher that I know God selected for my son to have in the public school system. One that doesn't break the rules of our government but allows the same freedom of speech to my son. She acknowledged him and moved on. She didn't belittle or embarrass him.

Thank you Lord for your faithfulness to every little detail!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, NC--
I found your blog from NM's. I love the affirmation of your sons. I'm not surprised to see the leadership in JCC that you guys model. Being able to speak about God in a non-Christian setting (even in an innocent way now) will pave the way for courage later. My Jack is enjoying being in class with him at church. You are doing such a great job! --Rachel B. (www.xanga.com/CampHillGirl)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool - we should all be like that. God is part of who we are, and we should not be afraid to share that with others. You can learn so much from a child. I am thankful for his teacher who does not belittle him.

Anonymous said...

Hey N~
I have thoroughly enjoyed your postings as of late, but am especially touched by these two about your boys. It is such an amazing thing that you are calling out these gifts and talents and annointings in your boys. And you are a priceless treasure in their lives. Be assured, that one day they will rise up and call you blessed, as will their wives ! Your heart, your passion and your intentional leadership in your home is a joy to the Father and a real treat for me to view from afar. Blessings and say hi to the hubby for us.
Tracy Whitney

Mrs. C said...

I just wanted to thank each of you for your words of affirmation and encouragement. JCC has also talked about Jack and their budding friendship. TW - I have appreciated your comments (now and in the past) and have thought to email you...but I don't have your address. So, rather than allow another comment to pass, I just wanted to tell you "thanks". Lil' sis...you know how precious you are to me!

Anonymous said...

whitneygang@comcast.net

Would love to hear from you some time! So glad you are all well and growing in Christ daily. Thanks for your kind words. :)

tw

Musings of a Housewife said...

Great story!! Love it. You ought to share that on the MOG Christians in the Public School forum.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...