Recently Natalie of Like I Was Saying... talked about the cost of Back-to-School shopping. I could not fathom that the average was $600! That means that some people spend less than that (which would be me) and some spend more (that is what average means of course).
She posted yesterday what her Back-to-School costs were this year which catalyzed the writing of this post.
I'm not a big "Back-to-School" shopper. I think partly because I shop ahead for the boys clothes anytime throughout the year...looking for sales. And I have to tell you when I'm fortunate enough to get a 30% off coupon at Kohls I definitely take advantage of that and use it on items that are already on sale or on clearance. I'm also fortunate that the boys were born 6 weeks apart in the calendar year so Barber uses all of Jeter's hand-me-downs. It is wonderful!
We're also blessed to not have to buy any school supplies. They are supplied by the school which means that I technically do pay for them via my taxes. I know once they enter Middle School there will be some supplies that we will need to purchase but that isn't until 5th grade. Meanwhile, providing a snack once a month is a-ok with me.
My one big expense this year was Jeter's lunch box. I don't like buying a new one each year - which is exactly what I have done since Kindergarten (Jeter is starting 2nd grade this year). Last year was Disney CARS themed and he is too old for that now even though it is in great condition. I understand that to be true (his outgrowing the theme) but it is still an irritant. I know spending $10 each year isn't going to break me financially but it is hard to justify the expense (in my brain anyway) when the old lunchbox is in near perfect condition.
I haven't had to buy a new backpack since Kindergarten and don't plan on doing so until he enters middle school - maybe. I was smart from the get-go on that one. I bought him the Solid Classmate Junior Backpack which was about $5 less than it is now and had it monogrammed. He absolutely loved it and has never considered getting another one. That could also be because I told him that it isn't going to happen until middle school (at least) and honestly, it isn't like this is going to go out of style.
I decided to apply the same logic to my lunch box dilemma and took advantage of the current deal at LandsEnd and bought him a lunch box that matches his backpack - and got it monogrammed as well. It's also wonderful to do this type of purchase when they are offering free shipping without a minimum purchase (unfortunately that deal has expired). So I spent $20 on the lunch box and another $7.50 on a stainless steel thermos (no design). Not too bad for back to school spending. Especially since I shouldn't have to buy either of those items for at least 3 years. Barber starts Kindergarten next year - and at that time we will invest in the backpack as well as the lunch box for his elementary experience.
Now just imagine how much someone else spent to make my amount average out to $600. I know that isn't exactly how it works but I can't help but think about that. It is just nuts!
17 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
1 comment:
Barber likes Cars, I believe... he could use that lunch box for his first year or two of school. Is it a hard box? I ask because if not, I'm amazed that it has lasted so well. Squiggly-Wiggly only attended school twice a week last year, and he wore out two insulated lunch boxes (soft sided)! Maybe I just bought cheap stuff.
Post a Comment