I did something this week - specifically yesterday - that I haven't done in at least fourteen years. I mowed the lawn!
Growing up mowing the lawn was one of many responsibilities that Promises and I shared. Dad taught us how to use the electric mower - meaning don't run over the cord. Anyway, it wasn't something I disliked but Simms just took on that responsibility once we owned the house.
He hasn't for the last month and thankfully my Dad helped us out a couple times while I was caring for Simms post-op and trying to keep life as normal as possible for Jeter and Barber. Honestly the last thing on my mind was growing grass.
Yesterday Simms transitioned from working at home to the office and the front lawn needed to be done. He is still not supposed to do any strenuous activity for at least two more weeks. So I decided there is no reason why I can't take care of the lawn. We actually have been using a manual mower - no gas or electric. It is powered by the mower - that would be me. Normally, the clippings become mulch. This is a time saver. However it was too long yesterday to allow to sit on our lawn so I had to use the bagger and then emptied the clippings around the outline of our fence. It took me 2-1/2 hours!!!
Even though the project took much longer than I expected (I was banking on 45 minutes to an hour) it was good exercise and I kind of enjoyed it. Barber had fun outside too. Not saying I won't ever let Simms return to this responsibility but for now it's mine. One that I will be tackling more often than once a week - that way I won't have to use the bagger, it will be healthier for our lawn and it will take less time out of that particular day.
So what have you been tackling lately? Check out other projects going on at 5 Minutes for Mom.
9 comments:
Mowing the grass is a huge tackle! Great job! Me- I've got weeds bad! I'm tackling my sunflower jungle today! :D
For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.
You brave chick!
good tackle!
we moved to the farm, so we don't have to cut our lawn anymore! can't say i miss it.. if we do.. we may get a goat! lol
Well after I caught my sweet but a little ADHD 70 year old neighbor pulling out my dandelions, I felt the push I needed to dig the rest out myself! Once I resigned to the fact I wasn't going to be sipping iced tea on the stoop while watching the girls ride their bikes, I started to get into it. And now, we're dandelion free (at least for a while). Thanks Jane for the push I needed!
Good for you! I do my best to stay away from lawn work, but its easy because we live in an apartment, but one day we won't and it will be up to me because my husband is allergic to everything that grows.
You go girl! I have not wished to return to that - especially not now with the 2 little ones! BUT, if I needed to do it, I would - just like you!
great tackle!
:)
Great tackle! I would love to have a manual mower...fun and efficient!
Wow, I'm impressed!! And with a manual mower, to boot.
Post a Comment