29 April 2008

The Frogs are Singing Me to Sleep

Did you know that frogs make noise? And I am not talking about the 'ribbit' sound that we learn about when we are young.

I've learned that this typically happens in the springtime - for the purpose of mating. The first time I heard it was when I visited my in-laws cabin on a lake. It was a one-room cabin with no hot water and you had to walk to the latrine (outhouse) when necessary. Meanwhile, I grew up on Long Island without any woodsy area around me. The noises I was accustomed to at night were cars driving up and down the street or Japanese Beetles flying into my window screen. In the spring I might hear the birds singing in the morning. I obviously had no idea that frogs made any kind of noise other than the 'ribbit'.

Needless to say my first night at the cabin in 1991 was sleepless. There were A LOT of noises going on that I could not even begin to identify. Later on I learned the one that puzzled me the most was made by frogs.

Over the years we made many trips to the lake and the noises didn't keep me up at night anymore - they began to have a soothing effect. Our trips ceased in 2004 when Dad had to give up the cabin. Whenever I think about the cabin and the lake my memories turn to Mom and the excited anticipation she had for spring and moving into the one-room cabin for the summer.

Just this week we've been hearing some new noises in our backyard. Investigation uncovered the source - frogs! Every night we hear them singing. Their song brings a smile to my face. How did they find us and our backyard? We are not even close to a lake. I have no idea and don't care to figure it out. For now I'll enjoy their song and think of mom and her love for God's creation.

6 comments:

Livin' Life said...

That's funny. I used to love hearing the spring peepers as we called them back home. Just watch out if they venture inside.:)

The Gang's Momma! said...

I'm glad that the appearance of the noise brings happy memories. I'm one of those fussy sleepers who need white noise or silence - must be from all those years of the baby monitors humming in the background. I never was like that before . . . Drives The Boss nuts, cuz he loves crickets and birds and breeze noises. . . .

Anonymous said...

Mom loved FROGS, she has statues of them everywhere. It wasn't until I spent the summer of 2002 wither while she was doing chemo did I get their meaning.
FROG Forever Rely On God

Barb said...

This just made me smile. I can totally understand your mom's excitement about that one room cabin for the summer. How I would love that.

The singing frogs would just be the icing on the cake.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the sound of frogs brings back lots of memories for me, too. We don't live near any lakes and we always had lots of frogs around our yard. I don't know where they came from or why they loved it there, but I spent many a spring and summer night sitting outside looking at the stars and listening to the night noises.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Isn't it funny how a simple sound can bring back such fond memories.
We have a woods behind our house, and I often hear those spring frogs. Actually many years ago, when the kids were little we went to a local lake and caught several frogs. We brought them to their new home in our creek. It was a fun memory maker, especially since one of the frogs got loose in the car!!! :)
Now every time I hear the frogs I think of that day.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...