The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman
I love this quote - from the moment I read it.
I love to classify. I am most comfortable in an orderly environment - although I still battle with clutter. I analyze. BUT I do this with things - NOT PEOPLE. Why? Because I don't like it when people try to define, stereotype or classify me. They usually don't get it right anyway because they are doing so from their own vantage point which skews the results. My most painful experience with this was in high school but it was also present in college. I don't know why but once school was done and Simms and I were wed I thought that this facet of life was over - behind me. Done. And then in 2001 I became a MOM and it felt like rushing water breaking through a dam.
To be honest it started before we even welcomed Jeter into this world. The big question was if I was going to stop working after he was born. Many assumed I would because apparently, it's a "rule" somewhere and I seemed to be a good Christian girl/woman. Shock and awe ensued when I returned to my job and Jeter was a mere three months old. All was well again when it appeared that I came to my senses after Barber was born but the unrest began again when Jeter began his education in a public school setting.
For the record, I am not a rebel and my intent is not to break the rules (it's just a matter of whose the maker of said rules). However, if my obedience to God and the call He has for me and my family causes me to appear this way then so be it. This used to bother me. It used to hurt - being misunderstood and/or judged. Sometimes it still does but not as much. Why? Because I have grown in my understanding of being held accountable to God and recognizing that my value is based on who I am as His creation rather than what I do or what people think of me. This really is very freeing.
Referencing the quote - if you are a mom, you work. Period.
Want to join me in musing on this topic? Please feel free to join in on the fun - simply write a post and then link up below. Need to get your creative juices flowing? Here are some questions to help catalyze your thoughts...What has been your own personal experience regarding motherhood? Is it more work than you expected? Maybe it is your favorite job?
1 comment:
I'm entering! Thanks for another "easy" quote.
Post a Comment