31 January 2008

TCC's Gone Cerebral...Again

I know there haven't been a lot of 'fun' posts here lately - other than the giveaway. Honestly, I have been feeling...well...very cerebral lately. Not really entertaining to the masses. But this is a very real part of me.

So what have I been thinking and praying about? The church. What's going on in the world. How we are impacting the lives we come in contact with. And this thinking is on many levels - local and global.

I'm not fighting this - because while this thinking is going on I am in regular/constant conversation with God on these topics. I first started this level of conversing with my Father last May and it really hasn't stopped.

Not that you all need to know how my brain works but my boys might be interested...

Like yesterday, when I was at Jeter's school volunteering and one of his classmates decided to throw himself on the floor in an all out temper tantrum because he didn't want to participate in the center. My inner reaction was disgust - not understanding why his parents didn't work with him on self-control at the age of 3. I'm not proud of this - but it was my initial reaction. Then my heart broke for this child. How is he going to learn self control? Who is going to teach him this life skill? Is there something that I can do while I am here? I start crying out to God (silently of course because I am also helping the children with one of their centers) on behalf of this child - who I know is dear to His heart. He created him. So I begin to beseech the Father how I can pray and intercede for this dear boy who when I first walked in the room - greeted me with a hug and a smile.

Or when my cousin - who is holding God off at arms length because he believes that he has done too many horrible things for God to forgive/love him - is told that his newly born daughter has a chromosomal abnormality. There is only one potential physical sign that is vaguely evident. Inside me a battle ensues: science/facts vs. faith - ultimately praying that the plans/purposes that God has for this precious little girl would in no way be scewed or altered. That His will is performed in fullness regarding her life.

My brother Rayda calls me (BTW I love how we are becoming closer and closer even though we are miles apart!) asking for prayer because of a health concern. Again, I find myself on my knees (sometimes literally, sometimes figuratively) praying for my Father to bring forth healing in Rayda's body - and to continue to bless the obedient steps that Rayda and Ruby have taken in their lives!

And while all of this is going on, I can't get out of my head what I believe He has been stirring in my heart (a portion of which I will be sharing at the March MIA meeting). I think it's titled something like Pursuing with Passion. I'm still seeking Him on that. But it has to do with how we go after what God has placed before us. Not just being obedient but our heart in the act of obedience.

To compound this, while watching Batman Begins with Simms this quote is what jumps out to me "People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy..." Did you know that apathy is the antonym (that means opposite) for passion? Yup - I'm even analyzing while watching a movie. Granted the character of Bruce Wayne was referencing his reason for creating Batman. It obviously hit me on a different level. Just don't be surprised if this quote is used in March's MIA meeting.

And as if this wasn't enough, I just learned about a dear annointed friend (whose heart's desire is to go after all that God has and wants to see whatever He has planned next happen) has been royally hurt again...by the church. I don't know the details but I was literally in a state of mourning with questions and tears yesterday. Thankfully I was able to join with my Mom and pray - intercedin for him and his family. I still don't understand and I don't have answers but thankfully I have His peace.

Oh my...I had NO INTENTION of sharing all of this. Honestly, I read a post this morning and was going to copy/paste it as my post today, but I wanted to intro it and then all of the above came out. Even so, I'm still going to paste it below because guess what...I'm thinking and praying about this now too. The post is titled "Why Aren't Your People Inviting Other People to Attend Your Church?"

David Foster writes, "Why do the people attending your church not invite other people to come to the experience? They come. They’re faithful. They give and support, but they don’t invite other people. If people in your church are not inviting people, they are not inviting people on purpose. We think they are intimidated, but they are not. They know very well how to invite people to great stuff. They do it all the time..."

David continues:
You take an average person who goes to a great concert; it’s very easy for that person to invite someone to the next one. He went and had a great experience. He was moved, he was touched, it was a great value, and it was worth the time and the effort. He knows that his friend is going to benefit from it and he’s going to thank him afterward. So he invites him enthusiastically. They make the date, they plan, they spend the money, they anticipate. We’re really good at inviting people to places that we love going and knowing there’s a benefit at the end.

So at the end of the day, maybe what you should be more focused on is helping your people love to come and to understand the benefit that others may have who come after them. Maybe people aren’t inviting people to your church because they aren’t that enthusiastic about it either.

I appreciate what is being said here and think the point is valid. Yet, I wrestle with the role of the church. Is the answer to really bring more people into our church and increase numbers? Is that the measure of success? Or are we supposed to go out and be the church to everyone we meet? Maybe the answer lies somewhere between the two or is a combination of the two? Right now this is what my brain is wrestling with. Trust me I will be pondering this - as well as all of the other stuff I mentioned above. Talking to God about it. Praying that He show me what my role is - today and then again tomorrow.

And amidst all of this, I am going to try to do our banking, bills, errand running, wash the dishes (our dishwasher broke!) and some laundry. Oh yes, and play with my precious Barber!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

It's a funny thing, how that Holy Spirt works. I think it was yesterday that I quoted Batman Begins in a comment to a fellow blogger: "It's not who you are inside but what you do that defines you." How often do I quote movies based on comic books? Never.

Livin' Life said...

I hear your heart loud and clear. It sounds very similar to Kris V's sermon. We are heading to the times of breaking out of the walls that encase the body and taking it to the streets.

The Gang's Momma! said...

This is so good. I've been feeling stirrings similar to the thoughts posed after the David Foster quotes. Aren't we supposed to bring the church to our friends? If we don't have any friends outside of the church, how do we do that?

This journey through adoption has opened all sorts of doors for connections and friendships that I never imagined. And I'm praying to be faithful to my request of the Lord when we started this: "Lord, use this to teach us all more about you and to share the story of your love and goodness through it all" or something to that effect. He certainly has been posing interesting opportunities for that growth along the way . . .

Good stuff. I love it when you get cerebral on us :)

Anonymous said...

Great post TCC, it gets my tired old brain working. Classic Mama did leave the great Batman quote on my blog......maybe Batman was wiser then I give him credit for.

But I also wrestle with lots of the same thoughts. What is the true measure of a successful church?? What makes a church successful? I tend to think the world has one view of success and God has another.

P.S. Go Giants!!! :)

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...