18 April 2007

Readiness

What does it mean to be "ready"?

Here are some definitions from dictionary.com
1. Completely prepared or in fit condition for immediate action or use
2. Duly equipped, completed, adjusted, or arranged, as for an occasion or purpose
3. Willing
4. Prompt or quick in perceiving, comprehending, speaking, writing, etc.
5. Proceeding from or showing such quickness
6. Prompt or quick in action, performance, manifestation, etc.
7. Immediately available for use

I have to tell you I have been tired, weary even. Why? Up till now I couldn't tell you. I would have a list of everything that I am doing and how packed my schedule is, etc. I could even tell you what was irritating or frustrating me at the moment. But none of these things were pinpointing the true cause of my weariness--and I knew that. But I didn't know the cause. I don't like feeling this way. It is not in my nature to complain so I didn't really like all the ugliness that was coming out of my mouth. I determined not to write (at least online) until I worked through this with God's help. Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen" was my frame of reference.

Today I read "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers and it hit me square between the eyes. It was titled Readiness. Chambers writes:

Readiness for God means that we are prepared to do the smallest thing or the largest thing-it makes no difference. It means we have no choice in what we want to do, but that whatever God's plans may be, we are there and ready. Whenever any duty presents itself, we hear God's voice as our Lord heard His Father's voice, and we are ready for it with the total readiness of our love for Him. Jesus Christ expects to do with us just as His Father did with Him. He can put us wherever He wants, in pleasant duties or in menial ones, because our union with Him is the same as His union with the Father.
I bolded the words that I believe I have had an issue with. Our schedule is packed. It is busy. During this season I am required to do a lot for my family and it isn't leaving much "free" time. My flesh wants to shout "NO FAIR" or "What about ME?" or "I deserve...!". But my loving Father has corrected me and reminded me that I am in the wrong when I perceive what I am doing to be menial or small. A successful day for me is not the completion of my "to do" list (when am I just going to remember this lesson?!?) but rather if I have completed what He desires of me that day. I am held accountable to Him alone.

I feel like I have really "blown it" these last few days. Thankfully I serve a God who is merciful. He is willing to take my hand and lead me back to the correct path. He is able to restore my joy. My desire is not to get so caught up in constantly getting ready but learning how to just "be ready" so that when He directs my step I am able to walk without stumbling.

I picture my dear Barber after he has stumbled or fallen. He may be crying, hands raised, waiting for the comfort of my arms. Without hesitancy, I pick him up. I pray for him. I hug him and wipe away his tears. I have been like Barber and I am so thankful for my Heavenly Father who, without hesitation, picks me up, holds me, comforts me, heals me, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome reminder - our God is always there to pick us up and love on us and then send us off on the path that He has for us. Thanks for that sis!

Anonymous said...

In light of this week's tragic events, this was a great perspective on personal readiness. Much in the world is made of preparing oneself physically for crisis, but being "ready" in all instances is so much more about our hearts and our minds being in tune with the Holy Spirit's leadings. And to know that HE is always there, ready with His love and His mercies makes me SOOOO GRATEFUL to be HIS child. And so grateful that I know how to instruct my precious kids to be ready themselves! We've had some great conversations this week about how to be ready in all instances to show the love of a FEROCIOUSLY LOVING GOD in our daily life. Thanks for the perspective :)

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...