09 March 2007

Milestones...

Can you call post-infant achievements milestones? Even if you aren't supposed to, I am today because it feels like we have walked at least a mile over rocky terrain (and that would not be an easy walk with a 2 year old) and although I feel tired/drained/weary there is a smile on my face. Why? Because I believe I am catching a glimpse of the plush green rolling hills that lie beyond this rocky terrain. The consistency and perseverance it took to walk and stumble and get back up is all worth it!

Here...sneak a peak with me:
  • My precious Barber has given himself timeouts. Yes, you read that correctly. And this hasn't been a one-time occurrence - he has done this 3 times this past week! Last night while the boys were brushing their teeth, Barber kept turning the lights on and off. I told him to stop and reminded him that he had a choice to make - to either be a good listener and brush his teeth or get a timeout for not listening and then brush his teeth anyway. Barber said "Time out". I asked "You are asking to be on time-out?" He nods his head and says "Yes." So, he sat in the hall on a stool for 3 minutes (he is almost 3) and then we talked about why he was on time out. He then declared "Pray!" and hugged my neck tightly throughout the prayer time. I believe that the Lord showed me (through this) that Barber does have a heart that is tender before Him. Barber desires to do the right thing but like all of us, he too battles daily. Part of my role and responsibility as Mommy is to help him make it through the rough terrain without getting too many bumps or bruises. I am now in awe of the fact that when given the choices he took the time-out even though he didn't continue to disobey - as if he knew he couldn't resist the temptation so he removed himself from the situation.
  • In the past when I or Simms would explain something to Barber regarding behavior it would go something like this:

Me: Barber, it is not nice to hit anyone.

Barber: Yes. (nodding and looking absolutely adorable with his big eyes and charming smile)

Me: So you understand that it is not ok to hit your brother Jeter?

Barber: Yeeeeees!

Me: Ok. Now look at me...are you going to hit your brother again?

Barber: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss!

Yup...obviously our point was not being fully processed. BUT just yesterday, in a scenario that was similar to this, he appropriately answered "no" and I could tell by his answer and the nonverbals that he understood! Hooray!

Now, I am fully aware that along our journey in life there will be more rocky terrain. I am also aware that we are being equipped now for the future. We will persevere through it together and once again celebrate and dance...together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! That is awesome! I love that cute little face that he has! BC is a very precious nephew and it is cool to see how he is growing in the ways of the Lord - and removing himself from temptation now at this young age. There are so many things that adults should learn from children, and this is one of them!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...