29 June 2010

Summer and my Footwear

When I think of summertime, I fondly remember the days at the beach with my family and friends. I wouldn't change a thing, but I'd be dishonest if I said I didn't miss the close proximity of beaches. Even so, the pool satisfies my need for summer sun and refreshment.

Needless to say, these orange beauts are often donned.



So why are my feet being shoved into these three times each week with socks? It's summer and I really like my sandals.One reason is that my ankle is doing much better - I'm probably at 95% or more - and I need to exercise again. Seriously, this girl needs to get back to a healthy lifestyle and I need to do something that I enjoy and will have a long-term effect.

I was never an athlete but I always enjoyed going for a run - or what I would call a jog. That was the best stress reliever for me during my college years and also saved me from the freshman 15 that seemed to loom over every college gal.

The running was never competitive for me. It was time where I could just be - I could take a break from the books, papers, lab write-ups, etc. And I always felt great afterwards.

Fast forward almost 20 years...I'll spare you the details but suffice it to say this gal has not had running shoes on for quite sometime. Two babies later - there is definitely more than 15 pounds that have stuck to this bod and baby fat is not an excuse anymore when my babies are 6 and 9.

Meanwhile, although Jeter has been playing rec soccer for the last five seasons, this past spring he joined a travel soccer league. We've definitely witnessed him step up his game play but we've also noticed he could improve in the area of endurance.

Here is where my great idea comes into play...Jeter and I should exercise together this summer!

We decided to follow the couch to 5K running plan and are in the third week right now. Here are some of the memories we've made thus far

Week One: 5 minute warm-up; 60 seconds jogging / 90 seconds walking for a total of 20 minutes.
  • Mom...this water is like gold! Stated by Jeter upon our return to home the first day.
  • During every "jog" portion of our exercise, he always was way ahead of me. He then would double back to meet me during our "walk" portion.
  • The gap between us could have been humiliating to me - an obvious reminder of how out-of-shape I am. But he never laughed at me or made fun of me. I made sure to thank him for this.

Week Two: 5 minutes warm-up; 90 seconds jogging / 2 minutes walking for a total of 20 minutes.

  • The gap between us during our "jog" portions became a bit less although it still existed.
  • I am both cherishing and looking forward to the time we get to exercise together.
  • I am feeling stronger but I know things are only going to increase.

Week Three: 5 minutes warm-up; 90 second jog / 90 second walk / 3 minute jog / 3 minute walk - complete the cycle two times.

  • The time-frame for jogging has doubled (the three minute portion) and I've learned how blessed I am to have Jeter as an exercise partner. We mutually encourage each other!
  • I had been concerned about the gap there was between us when we were jogging the first week (which was only 60 seconds each interval) - how far ahead of me would he be in Week 7 when we are jogging for 23 consecutive minutes? This week I've realized that will not be a concern. He is working on endurance and as the time increased to 3 consecutive minutes I could see that this program is benefiting both of us. We were essentially together the entire time.

So what happens to Barber while we exercise? Thank God for family! My sister Promises and my parents have helped to be with him each MWF. What a tremendous blessing they have been because this would not be possible without their help and support.


No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...