01 September 2009

Barber's First Day of School


Barber...it's your first day of school. Is that even possible? It seems like just yesterday you wrapped your fingers around one of mine, turned your head toward my voice and gave me a quiet smile or maybe even a coo.

Time has passed quickly - or at least it seems so. I've paused to wonder - did I do enough? Have I taught you all you need to know? Is your foundation strong enough? Did I mindlessly waste any opportunity to pour into you? Was I too busy with working on the house, volunteering at the school and church?

And then I remind myself that God gave you to me. He chose you to be my son and He knew what these last five years would hold. He knew the ups and downs we would walk through as a family and He gave us strength and endurance for each step on our journey.

There were no tears this morning. Only smiles as you confidently walked to the bus stop with your brother. Excitement oozed out of you as you talked about going to Kindergarten and contemplated what special you might have today - hoping that it was gym. The bus arrived and you were off - ready to sit in your seat. Smiles abounded as you signed "I love you" to me and Daddy and we returned the sign and blew kisses.

Yes. You are ready and prepared for this next season in life. Mommy and Daddy are not perfect but I know that you have a solid foundation. Our job isn't complete. There is still much to accomplish. There are still things to teach and sow and pour into your precious life.

Snacks to bake. Homework to oversee. Time to encourage. Prayers to pray. Activities to participate in.

I will not mourn what has passed but will treasure the memories. And with great expectation, jump into this new season of our lives together.



6 comments:

Livin' Life said...

Wow!! I can't believe it too!! That is great!! I love what you wrote and can identify with it completely. I love being on this journey with our boys. Your two look so darn cute together!!!

The Gang's Momma! said...

So sweet! Your boy will love looking back on this post and reading it as he grows. It's beautiful.

Happy first day to you all . . . We're on a new adventure ourselves. When I am not so brain dead to form original, creative, coherent thoughts, I'm sure I'll post about it :) Tonite, I'm in response mode.

Kelli said...

Geee...why don't you play Butterfly Kisses and make me cry even more! :) Glad to see the little guy growing up in such a confident, courageous manner. :)

mishmash-a little bit of this and a little... said...

love the pic! what a great post.

Anonymous said...

Our baby girl started kindergarden to day, she was very excited, I hesitate to let her go but I know God has more to come for her, for us.
Hope "Barber" had as much fun on his first day and everyday since as mine did today. Thanks for the post.....it mirrored some of my own thoughts.

Promises said...

I finally read this (was on vacation when you wrote it!) - you are an awesome mama, and you have sown into and prepared your boys. Yes, more to do, but they are ready for this time in their lives. I loved this post!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...