I had to go to the dentist again yesterday. One of the last places I would go to on purpose but I had to get one last filling. My appointment was at 11:50 AM. I was out of there by 12:10 PM. I think that is the fastest I have ever had a bottom tooth filled. In the past I have been told that the bottom molars take longer because it takes about 20 minutes just to get numb. I thought he must have used some amazing new type of stuff because I was feeling numb - like right after he finished injecting it.
Here's the kicker though. The procedure (including the numbing) lasted a mere 20 minutes, however the effect of the novocaine didn't wear off until almost 5:00 PM! Yes, you read that correctly. So exactly HOW MUCH of that stuff did I get injected with? I don't know for sure but my hypothesis would be a whole heck of a lot.
My mind believed that the left side of my face was swollen. Does anyone else feel that way when they get novocaine? Touching it doesn't make me feel any differently. Only looking in a mirror would assure me that my face looked normal to everyone else.
My tongue was numb too. That effected my speech - meaning I totally sounded like I was still living in LI with a very thick accent. Why? Think about it. You need your tongue to properly pronounce your "r's" and "l's". Even though I still pronounce my vowels more like a LI gal than a Pennsylvanian - my accent isn't as obvious because I pronounce my "r's" and "l's". Needless to say, this was entertaining to my family. It became interesting when I went to volunteer at Jeter's school yesterday afternoon. I usually volunteer on Wednesday afternoons.
I was asked to call the children over, one at a time, and ask them to complete one of their December goals - to properly write their address. If I didn't think about it, when they arrived this is what I would have sounded like:
"Hewwo, awe yuh abuh to wite yuh fuwl addess fuh me?"
Thankfully I was thinking about it and it didn't sound quite that bad but there were a couple of children who looked perplexed and asked "what?" and I'm thinking Cut me some slack here. Your teacher already told you why I was calling you back here. But I would take a breathe and do my best to ask "Are you able to write your full address for me?" while smiling.
11 December 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
4 comments:
I had that happen last year at DK's preschool. A bunch of moms tried starting a conversation with me at pick up time and I just sounded ridiculous. I feel your pain.
Very Funny though!
:) I always view the Long Island accent as an equation. It's not that we don't use "r"s, we just relocate them. I simply take the "r" off of the word "year" (yea) and replace it on the end of a female name "Linda" (Linder) or Rebecca (Rebeccer). It really is very sceintific. ;)
You are so funny. I think that your accent comes out stronger than mine ever does. I sometimes "forget" that I gew up there...not really, just kiddin'
Yes, I always feel swollen after dental numbing. Once the dentist hit a nerve when injecting... it felt like an electric shock. And you know what? A portion of my tongue was numb for two weeks!
I called them after a day and they said that he might have hit a nerve and that it would eventually go away. I was really hoping so... it was a little scary. Mostly I just had a lisp and sounded a little mushy... but for two entire weeks!
Post a Comment