Jeter has completed his first week of second grade and has determined that his teacher, Miss W, is the best teacher ever!
The beginning of the year is never easy. New teacher. New classroom. New students. New responsibilities. Technically most of his classmates have been attending this school since Kindergarten but there are six classes per grade. As a result, Jeter only knew two students from his first grade class. Granted, some of the other boys and girls look familiar and he sort of knew some of them but as he puts it "I have to make new friends all over again."
One of the assignments he received was to complete a "me poster". It's due next Tuesday. A portion of the poster has the student identify three super cool facts about themselves. Jeter quickly filled in two and paused for the third, looking at me he said "if I went to a school that celebrated God then I would write 'follower of Jesus'." I told him he still could write that if he wanted to and we talked about what it is like to allow the love of Jesus to shine through us. I assured him that it isn't necessary to yell "I LOVE JESUS!" to everyone you see. Scripture doesn't depict Christ going through the cities declaring "Follow me! I'm the Messiah!". Rather, it was his actions that spoke volumes and ultimately changed lives.
The very next day he brought home an "All About Me" bag that was decorated at school. His assignment was to select three things from home that he could use to introduce himself to his new 'friends' in second grade. He proudly removed the bag from his folder and told me to look at the bag. On the front he drew and colored flames. Inside the flames he had written "The Word". I smiled. He said, I don't mind if anyone asks me about this and if they do I will tell them what it means. On the back he had colored a cross. I don't know if anyone noticed. What I do know is this - I am so proud of my son. At a young age, he has learned to not compromise who he is for the sake of others; allowing Christ to shine through him with simple, expressive acts.
Keep Burning Jeter!
29 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
No comments:
Post a Comment