02 July 2008

Why I Still Haven't Met McDreamy or McSteamy

Three reasons:
1. There is nothing seriously wrong with me neurologically and I don't need plastic surgery.
2. I don't live in Seattle, Washington.
3. My trip to the ER was nonfiction.

This would be why I've been so quiet lately. It isn't easy trying to type at a desktop while elevating your ankle.

So what happened?

Short answer - life.

Long answer - keep reading.

We went to Promises house for dinner on Saturday night. Dawson made an awesome stir-fry meal. We talked, laughed, played with the kiddos, put them to bed and then talked, laughed and played crazy uno until a bit after 11PM. Simms and I went upstairs to get the boys - Simms carrying Jeter and I carrying Barber. Everything was great until I took the last step.

My left foot slipped and turned/rolled/inverted (whatever you want to call it) and I heard a *snap* and felt my body falling helplessly to the floor. My arms wrapped around Barber wanting to protect him. My body took the brunt of it and Barber woke up when we landed. Promises picked him up to comfort him and I used my right leg to get to the landing and assess the damage. I moved my foot and heard and felt a *click*. I was in pain and was frustrated that I even had to deal with this annoyance.

Simms and Dawson came in and I told them that I was concerned that a bone broke or I tore a ligament. They helped me hop out the front door and sat me down on the bench. The thought was to get me home, raise my leg and ice it and see what the morning would bring. That was until we looked again at my ankle. The swelling that happened in less than two minutes was scary looking. I thought it looked bad and from the quick exchange I observed between Simms and Dawson, I knew they concurred. In no time at all Dawson went in the house and returned with ice, an ace bandage and two Tylenol. While Simms prepared the car I sat with my leg raised and resting on Dawson's lap. He prayed for me. I don't remember the precise words but I know they were powerful and gave me a new wave of peace and strength. The men carried me to the car and then we were on our way to the ER.

I prayed for a quick recovery from whatever had happened and that our stay at the ER would not be too long. Let me just say God answers prayer!
  • We arrived and Simms went inside. Man #1 returned with him pushing a wheelchair.
  • He wheeled me into the hospital and then helped me get situated on a hospital bed.
  • Man #2 came and took my vitals. He told me my BP was fine but I had a fever. I was also shivering and needed blankets. I was experiencing shock.
  • He left and Man #3 came to push the bed into room #8.
  • Woman #1 came in to register me.
  • She left and then Man #4 came in to bring me to x-ray. That ride felt like the NASCAR version of pushing a hospital bed.
  • The x-ray technician (woman #2) took 3 x-rays and told me that it was probably broken because of the quick rate of swelling. Gee thanks but I'd rather hear from the doctor.
  • She wheeled me out and then I was returned to my room by I think Man #3. This ride was a bit more peaceful.
  • It was at this point that Simms and I actually had a bit of a wait before the doctor read the x-rays and reported the results to us. We decided to guess what the doctor would say when he entered the room. We agreed that it would probably be "Hello/Good morning...I'm Dr. so-and-so..." Boy were we wrong.
  • The doctor entered saying "Well, you tried to break it but you were unsuccessful!" He then went on to tell me that because of the inverted position the bone was dislocated *snap* and then relocated *click* and that I had a very bad sprain.
  • I was given various instructions, a prescription for the pain and then was fitted with an air cast (by Man #2) and some crutches. Then I was wheeled to the car by Man #5 and bid farewell with a gentle reminder to be careful with the crutches by Man #2

In a little over 2 hours we received our results and were treated so well by 8 different employees at the hospital. Praise God!

Next up...Lessons from the ER.

4 comments:

The Gang's Momma! said...

I'm so sorry for your fall and your sprain! It's too bad we don't live there anymore. I could come over with BBE, prop the two of you on the couch and whip you up a dinner or two for your freezer while you both convalesce and we chat! But I'm glad you've had family nearby to help - that makes it all more easy to deal with, I'm sure!

Feel better soon.

Promises said...

Ok - you forgot to tell me about the NASCAR hospital ride - I wonder if the man times himself to see how fast he can get someone there! :)

Love you! See you tomorrow, bright and early!

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you are up and about enough at least to get on the computer:) We as still praying for a full and quick recovery.
I asked you for a good story about your incident though. This one is nice but certainly you could have come up with something better. What about wildebeast attack or exciting mission that had you jumping out of airplanes? Come on girl, use your right brain :)

Livin' Life said...

I am so sorry to hear about your fall. Glad it wasn't broken but the doctors have always told me that sprains can be just as bad so we will be praying for you guys.

It's been one rough summer so far.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...