18 June 2008

Confessions of a VBS Volunteer

I know I have two kids and I even work well with children...but it is just not my passion. Teenagers - yes! For some reason I truly enjoy this age group. Go ahead, call me weirdo. All I can say is that my level of respect for those that work with young children on a daily basis has substantially increased this week. Don't get me wrong - there was already respect present. I'm just saying it INCREASED a lot.

VBS started this past Monday and my level of energy has been zapped. We got home Monday afternoon around 12:30, I made lunch for the boys and was so tired I almost took a nap! I definitely needed it but I needed to be Mommy to them more so the nap was delayed until bedtime. I don't remember the last time I was so exhausted. I was still tired Tuesday morning when I got up. Thrills even noticed it when I arrived to church. Now that is really bad.

I've also noted that with this tiredness, my tolerance for the daily activity of my own two boys has diminished making our afternoons rather...hmmm...shall we say interesting? I can't tell if their behavior has truly deteriorated or if I just have zilcho tolerance. Like a "Don't even let me catch you thinking about talking back or whining or not being nice to your brother!"

Here's the crazy part - the group that I help with is overall very well behaved. They treat each other nicely and are overall respectful. We just need to regularly remind them to listen to instruction and follow directions. And there is a lot of them. 18 first graders. And now I am realizing that this is the precise area where I'm majorly lacking tolerance with Barber and Jeter. Nice little "aha" moment there for me. Yup. This is but one reason why I journal.

I have two more days of VBS and even though I don't think of this as "fun", I do know that my presence there is an act of obedience and I need to be joyful in it. I've been talking to Jeter and Barber about an attitude adjustment all afternoon and their need of one. Guess what? Their mama needs to make one as well. So...I'm off to do just that. Thankfully, I know that even though this may seem impossible for me - all things are possible through HIM who created me and He is able to give me what I need.

Positive side note - my boys are singing all these wonderful songs and saying their Bible verses as well and telling Simms all about what they learned that day. I'll post more about this at the end of the week.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

:) That's all I have to say.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...