"I set myself on fire and the people come to see me burn." ~John Wesley
This quote causes me to think of Revelations 3:15-16 where it says "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth." KJV+
I remember examining my heart as a teenager; I knew I wasn't always hot and at the same time I didn't want to be spewed. I prayed that God would help me to be hot and not lukewarm. I didn't consider cold an option.
Did it work? Have I always been 'hot'? No. But I continue to pray that God helps me to be hot or on fire so that He shines through me. I also realize that what that looks like for me might not be the same for someone else. My desire then is to be obedient - with passion - in all things.
Simms and I have definitely been challenged in this since we've become parents. Our hearts desire is to see our boys fulfill the plans and purposes that God has for their lives. How do they learn to do this? Largely by our example. They need to see their Mommy and Daddy living life this way - then it will be natural for them. This challenge has only increased since Jeter started school. We prayed and knew that the Lord told us our boys were to be in public school. This started with pre-school...and so did the challenges.
The most recent example was last Monday. I picked up Jeter from the bus stop and we walked home. I got his snack ready and then experienced the following conversation:
Jeter: Hey mom, I don't really know how this happened but I helped my friend K ask Jesus Christ into her heart.
Me: Really? That's great. When did this happen? Can you try to remember how it got started?
Jeter: Well...it was after math. I do remember that. We were just kind of talking and I somehow ended up asking her if she had Jesus in her heart. Then I told her if she didn't that when she died she would go to hell.
Me: Oh. Okay. In the future you might want to emphasize the positive. You could alter what you said by explaining that if one has Jesus in their heart they get to live with him now and forever. See?
Jeter: Yeah. That is true. But what I said is true.
Me: You're right. It is. What happened next?
Jeter: Well, she was just about to pray - silently you know - and then my friend R interrupted (he said this with such exasperation!). We got done talking to him and then I saw her. She did this (he motioned that she held her hands together like she was praying with closed eyes and slightly bowed head). So it's cool mom because now another one of my friends is a Christian.
Me: That's very cool honey.
Now...here's why this is a challenge to me (and Simms). There is NO WAY that I was doing this when I was in first grade! My goodness I wasn't doing this when I was in high school (but I was in a private school at that time so really...who was I going to witness to? Most of my peers knew the truth even if they weren't living it and were oozing lukewarmness) I have to admit to you I had many panic-stricken thoughts during the above conversation; what phone calls am I going to get? Is this mom going to be ticked off at me? Who witnessed this? Tons of crazy questions swirled through my head and then it was all eclipsed by HIM. As my spirit was crying out, He answered and reminded me that it's all okay. Jeter is in His hands and He will lead and guide us every step of the way. In one fell swoop I experienced His peace. No answers to my questions but knowing that Jeter is being covered and protected by Him. Praise God.
I feel like I am still learning how to be on fire - burning for Him. I don't know if anyone is coming to see me burn but I do know that my heart desires to be obedient in all things. When I look at Jeter and my heart bursts; I am so proud of what God has already done in the life of this young man (Jeter)...I do want my ceiling to be his and Barber's floor (to quote Livin' Life).
Have you mused today? Please share your thoughts or experiences that this quote brings to mind. If you blog, link below and if you don't, please feel free to include your thoughts in the comments section.
Here's the quote for next week (the 24th)
"People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy..."~Bruce Wayne of Batman Begins
6 comments:
How awesome is this! I mean it, it brought tears of joy to my eyes and my stomach did flippy things. Praise God Halellujah!! What a bold first grader, I am so thankful that you and Simms were able to hear the voice of God so clearly to know that He wanted them in public school. Now you can see why.
God calls each one of us to such different plans. I have three girls and He has called us to home school. In my mind I warred the arguments back and forth in my head for so long. Finally realizing that the Lord knows our children better than we do. If I just obey He will take care of the rest!
Thanks for sharing this musing. It blessed me greatly!
I also struggled a lot as a teenager, and also did not consider cold an option. I was in public school and felt constant pressure from church to witness at school, pressure from peers dangling acceptance/rejection, and immense pressure from a crappy home life. Witnessing seemed to be the measure of how hot you were.
I remember a very few times when the Holy Spirit was actually the one prompting me to say / do something to witness at school. I remember following through, although I don't know that I always did. That's the right kind of pressure to witness. When I would "witness" because of the guilt-trip from church, it never felt right and I would be an emotional mess!
I posted my musings on this quote over on my blog.
Okay, I added my thoughts. Funny I felt nervous this week too. What's wrong with me?!!!
BTW - I have chosen not to read others fully until I write mine, so I am not swayed by other peoples thoughts.
Perhaps this may be the reason why I am feeling so insecure. What if everyone else is thinkng something different?
Getting over myself as i type! Smile!
Okay, now I've read your blog. Way to go Jeter - way to go. And can I just tell you, that all those thoughts would have gone through my head as well? I hope and think I would have ended at the same place you did, with peace that God is got it all taken care of.
Also, I agree with you that being on fire is a growing process thing. You don't just get saved and then be totally, effectively on fire.
Wow, that was so incredible! How convicting for me right now. If your young son can be so "on fire" at his age, how much more should we be as we get older. And yet the opposite seems to be true. I find I go through these seasons. Thanks for sharing such a special moment.
I'm coming late to the game. But this was an amazing post - the connection to the quote and the story of your little guy. VERY cool things God is doing in your home!
For my musings, I've never had a problem setting myself on fire. I'm the gal that can get fired up pretty easily about pretty much anything. My challenge has been to not flame out of control, rather to be the slow steady burn that consumes. The flash in the pan is too easily extinguished. That's hard for me to admit to a group of readers that I admire, but I find myself constantly reining myself in to be more consistent. And to be on fire about the important things - those things with eternal value and importance.
I know, not at all the same take on this quote that the others had, but what I thought and felt when I read it over and over trying to frame my response.
Post a Comment