10 March 2008

Monday's Musings

Miracles are not to be interpreted as divine acts against the laws of nature (for those laws are themselves expressions of God's will) but as more profound revelations of the character of the divine relationship to creation. To be credible, miracles must convey a deeper understanding than could have been observed without them. ~ John Polkinghorne

To discuss this I felt like I needed to have a universal definition for 'law of nature'. According to Wikpedia it is defined in the following ways:

Law of Nature may refer to:
Physical law, a scientific generalization based upon empirical observation
Natural law, any number of doctrines in moral, political and legal theory
A theological doctrine concerning marriage and its role (or lack thereof), specifically in regard to the Immaculate Conception

So how do miracles fit into this? How about the fact that my pastor should have been dead from Stage IV Leukemia eight years ago? Or the accounts that we've heard from the mission field about dead people returning to life? How about the miracles that On Fire recently saw with her own eyes when she was in Mexico (some of which she hasn't blogged about)? Granted, I don't think these things oppose the laws of gravity or conservation of energy. They may not even go against laws of probability. But there could be some law or interpretation of a law out there that these acts defy. Does that mean they didn't happen? Certainly not. Especially when there are eyewitnesses to what has occurred.

So, then, is it really defined as miraculous?

According to John Polkinghorne, a miracle is only credible if a deeper understanding is conveyed and couldn't have been done so without a miracle. One issue I have with this is 'according to who' - who is the one that determines that a deeper understanding was not able to be conveyed? I'm not going to argue that this isn't applicable but part of me is opposed to putting God, the author of miracles, in a box. Maybe this is true and does apply...but I struggle with the attempt to define and bring logic to everything God does. It is here that I am reminded of Job. This doesn't necessarily apply to miracles but it does apply to the nature of God, our Creator and the one who created the same phenomena that we attempt to define and classify into laws. When Job ponders and questions God, ultimately God's response is (and I am super paraphrasing here) 'Job, you don't have the right to question me. I am God'. This doesn't seem like the response Job was looking for (or any of us may be looking for from time to time) but there have been many times that I remind myself "God is God".

So that's it. My thoughts on this quote. I certainly look forward to your responses. What do you think about miracles? Have you personally experienced one? Do you think the act of a miracle needs to meet Polkinghorne's line of thinking to be considered credible? I look forward to your comments and your own posts. I obviously haven't enlisted the help of Mr. Linky yet so if you post, leave a comment and tell us so that we can all check out your thoughts/pondering/questions/etc. And if you don't have a blog please feel free to write your post in the comments.

***Edited: I figured out how to add the Mr. Linky...so link away!***

I've borrowed one of On Fire's Inspirational quotes for next Monday's Musings:

"I set myself on fire and the people come to see me burn." ~John Wesley



5 comments:

Livin' Life said...

I love your next quote. It is one of my favorites. I haven't had time to write today's but I plan to by the evening. It was really good. Keep going with Monday Musings. I hope you can get a Mr Linky too. It would be fun to hope to the other sites participating.

Great Idea!!!!

This Journey of Mine said...

Alright, I put my answer up. I spent the entire day thinking it through, then re read your blog and found what it was I wanted to "speak" on.
And btw, I have a great testimony about next weeks quote. Can't wait to share it.

I'm a bit anxious about my post as it may not be as intellectually with it as yours and livin lifes was! Good grief, you guys apparently have the brains on this one!

Promises said...

ok - I am sorry that I did not get to write anything, but can I do Monday Musing on Tuesday? Well, if I do not get to it today, I will try to do it next week. We were busy most of the day and also this evening - sorry sis!

Mrs. C said...

To Promises and anyone else - please feel free to link up tomorrow. That's what's nice about having Mr. Linky now. :)

Also, please note that next weeks quote is already on this post. I plan on doing that so you have a full week to ponder and put your thoughts together.

Thank you to everyone who is participating. And if you haven't had the chance to read them, take the time. It's good stuff!

The Gang's Momma! said...

I had the time. I did not have the brain power. Instead, I had nasty sinus drainage that took brain cells with it. (Gross, I know. But after that licking the butt comment on your "What if" I figured it was okay!)

I'll jump on board maybe for next week's - already thinkin' on it!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...