I am a reader. I don't have as much time now to read through the pile of books on my nightstand (they've been there so long now they're almost part of the decor) but every now and then I am able to read a chapter or two.
In my youth I can recall sneaking away to my room - just to read a book. If my parents let me I would read all day long. As a result, I am one of those parents that loves to snuggle up with the boys and read to them. Barber is still on childrens level books - we're able to read through one of them in about 3-5 minutes depending upon the number of questions I am required to answer. We've even begun to read the children's Bible - he has enjoyed learning about Moses, Samuel, Joshua, etc. Jeter is into chapter books and sometimes he reads to us and then we read to him. This is becoming a lot of fun for me. I cannot tell you how many times I have looked at the time and the number of pages in the next chapter and asked Jeter "One more chapter?" as he smiles wholeheartedly a "Yes!".
I tell you all of this because I was reminded this morning of my "sneaking" to my room when I discovered that Jeter had "snuck" one of his books to school last week. He didn't ask for permission on Friday when his book on snakes was placed into his backpack. Turns out one of his buddies that he sits with on the bus likes to read too. They've been bringing in books about reptiles, sharks, etc to exchange and read during the ride to school. So we talked about it. The fact that all he needs to do is ask. That there are certain things of his that should stay at home but if there is something he wants to bring to school he needs to ask - and then I can label it so it doesn't get lost. He realizes how important the labeling concept is.
So before 8:00AM there was a lesson learned and I couldn't help but smile at the fact that my 6 year old (who in a flash is a baby in my arms again!) shares my love of reading.
19 November 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
2 comments:
Abriella is the same way with books, I just don't know where she gets it from. She has to go to sleep at night with 4 books in her bed, books must be in the car when we go anywhere, and her bed is full of books at quiet time. I love that she loves books!
This is such a cute story! I love to read too. You brought memories back to me when I would read for hours and hours! I "miss" those times a little bit, but I am looking forward to continuing to read to my little guys and then "sneaking" in some time for my own reading! Our kids are so bleessed! I need to get Brady some more books!
Post a Comment