29 November 2007

Conversation as an Art Form...Really?

As mentioned previously, I have evolved into a pretty good multi-tasker unless conversation is involved. If I am to be engaged in a conversation then I cannot be doing anything else substantial (folding laundry, washing dishes, doing my hair or makeup, brushing my teeth, etc.).

I will say however that if I am engaged in a conversation, I do have the ability to participate in at least 2 other, separate conversations at the same time. This blows Simms mind. I wouldn't say it is genetic because I haven't heard of a gene that would predispose me to this ability. Therefore, I would say it is the result of environmental influences - my family. This includes my Long Island extended family. If my memory serves me right, for us, it was an art form. Not so much out here in PA. As a result, even though I still have this ability, I pretty much don't tap into it because in this surrounding it isn't life, it's just rude. So I've adapted. And while all of this may be interesting, surprisingly enough it isn't the main point of this post.

My children don't know yet or fully understand my inability to talk and do something at the same time. This could get me into trouble. Almost did the other day. Case in point - while I was washing the dishes, Jeter came over and was talking to me/asking a question - I couldn't tell you which it was because I was doing something. So I said "uh-huh (acknowledging his presence)...in a minute honey" with the intention of turning off the water and drying my hands because I can't talk with wet hands. Things would just get messy. (I've been told that I do use my hands when I talk...so I guess I can do something and talk at the same time!) I quickly realized that this was not what was communicated to Jeter as a smile broadened across his face and he darted into the family room to inform Barber of what I had just apparently said yes to! Thankfully it was something that would receive my seal of approval. We simply had to adjust the time frame (fifteen minutes vs. one minute).

Lesson learned? Now, when I am doing something and Jeter or Barber need me I say "wait" and then stop what I am doing first before I say anything else!

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...