09 October 2007

I'm Planting Some Trees

I really like the fall season. Let's face it - I like seasons. When the briskness of winter begins I become excited for snow and sledding and making snowman. As winter thaws and the crocus' push up out of the ground I will be elated with the pending spring. When temperatures become increasingly warm I smile with thoughts of swimming in the pool and vacationing in the summer. Is this any surprise to you? Simply stated - I like change.

And yet, with my love for change I know I am only able to deal with it because of what is steadfast in my life. My firm foundation. This is what allows me to enjoy the change that life brings. Sometimes change is not necessarily welcomed but it doesn't destroy me because my roots are deep.
I am reminded of the following scripture:

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But, his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever, he doeth shall prosper. The ungodly are not so: but, are like the chaff which the wind driveth away. Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish. ~Psalm 1:1-6 KJV+

Now as Mommy, I desire for Jeter and Barber to have that strong foundation. I want them to be able to stand. Scary thought when they are required to do this (stand) at such a young age. But when they do...I am just such a proud mama!

This happened recently with Jeter. Due to our beliefs, we do not celebrate or participate in Halloween. (I do not desire to debate this issue. I am merely informing you of the background to this story) October 1st arrived and with it the activities at school turned toward Halloween. I typically talk to the teacher ahead of time but was going to be at the school on the 3rd and figured I would wait until then. Jeter came home from school on the 1st and informed Simms and I that his center activity wasn't in his folder. He said that it was completed but he chose to throw it out. Apparently, the activity had to do with Halloween and after he did it, he chose to talk with his teacher and explain his beliefs and convictions. She told him he did a good job on his center but understood and respected his choice to throw it out if he wanted. He did. Wow. I was so impressed with my son. He chose to not compromise...all by himself.

Now Barber isn't facing that yet. He is still home with me. But just this morning while I was working in the kitchen, he came running in from the family room to tell me that a TV show wasn't OK and he needed me to turn it off. May seem small but his simple action speaks volumes to me.

Thank you Lord. Thank you for blessing my sons with discernment and wisdom. Thank you for helping them to stand for what they believe without compromising. Continue to pour out your blessing upon them and give them all that they need to fulfill the plan and purpose You have for their lives. In Jesus' name. Amen.

3 comments:

Krazy Klingers said...

That was so cool to read. You guys are doing a great job raising your sons to be godly boys and men! Thank you for sharing!

Melissa said...

That's so good to hear and the fact that his teacher seemed understanding is wonderful! Those seeds you keep planting in those sweet boys are already yielding fruit! AMEN!

We're experiencing similar issues here and it's kicking my prayer life up a notch! I want my girls to be standing just as firm and undaunted about their beliefs at the end of October as they are now!

Anonymous said...

Those young convictions should turn into convictions when the boys are older also. Now that my kids are 10 and 12 I really see the value of a God centered foundation and Godly convictions. That is so neat to hear.

BTW, I also LOVE each season! And aren't you glad it's finally cooled down some. I may even wear a sweater to school tomorrow!! :)
Sandy

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...