31 July 2007

Character Before Career

That was my high school motto and after reading lil' sis' post, I decided to reminisce a little myself.

1. Who was your best friend?
Best guy-friend was HJ. Best girl-friend was Lynn. However, the person I became closest to after graduation and still keep in touch with is Tonja.

2. Did you play any sports?
Yes. You had to. I am not athletically inclined but every student was required to participate in one season. I ran track. How hard could running be? I did my best but didn't win any real awards.

3. What kind of car did you drive?
Not applicable. I did not get my license until I was 18.

4. It’s Friday night. Where were you?
Probably at home, eating pizza and spending time with my family.

5. Were you a party animal?
No. My school had an honor code (not that everyone followed it) that I took to heart and followed. Besides my parents were too smart to allow that to happen.

6. Were you considered a flirt?
No. I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16 which didn't happen until my junior year so flirting did not happen mainly because I didn't want to have to be embarrassed while explaining my family's rules.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir?
I was in the concert choir. You had to try out. I was one of the 10 altos. We were very good. Toured every year too! It was really fun and taught me a lot.

8. Were you a nerd?
This is tough to answer because it is all relative. By whose standards? At my school, no I wasn't (it was 'cool' to do well) but in another school setting I might have been considered this.

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled? No.

10. Can you sing the fight song?
No. I know we had a school song and if I heard the tune, I might remember a sentence or two but now? I got nothing.

11. Who was your favorite teacher?
This is tough. I had a lot of great teachers. It would have been better to ask me who I didn't like. Mrs. Lawrence was more than a teacher to me. She definitely mentored me. Miss Hays was amazing as well. I liked Mr. Spangler, Mr. Lingle, Mr. Fonseca and Mr. Treichler too. There were others that I liked because of who they were but not necessarily liking or enjoying the subject they taught (like Mr. Brownworth and Mr. Hostetter).

12. What was your school mascot?
When I was there we were the Shrikes. After I graduated, they became the bears.

13. Did you go to the Prom? Yes

14. If you could go back, would you?
No. That time in my life was monumental and I wouldn't be who I am today without the many lessons that I learned but that is the point. I am here today and I don't ever yearn to go back in time.

15. What do you remember most about graduation?
I remember I was really happy that the weather held and we were able to have the ceremony outside. I was thrilled to have my Gramma there as well as my cousin Bones and other extended family as well. Emotions were a roller coaster - excited about being done and having achieved a huge goal but anxious about the future. There was laughter and tears. I also remember wondering if Bones was going to cheer for me...I had told the family that the Headmaster had warned it was improper and I didn't want to get a mean look from him as I received my diploma.

16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day?
We went to Great Adventure. It was a planned/approved trip.

17. Did you have a job your senior year?
No. Our school day went from 8am - 5pm. And if you played a varsity sport you took the late bus at 6pm. Then I ate dinner at home and did homework. No time for a job.

18. Where did you go most often for lunch?
The dining hall. Since our school had borders and day students (I was a day student), we ate meals in a dining hall, that had oval tables that would seat 10 people. There was a teacher that would be present, or a senior table head, and then one person would go and get the food from the kitchen, and the meal was served family style. Let me tell you, the food was delicious!!!

19. Have you gained weight since then?
Yes. Who hasn't?

20. What did you do after graduation?
I attended college and received a B.S. in Biology. I married Simms and then I returned to school to receive my teacher's certification. I worked at a bank and substituted for a year and a half. I taught Biology 8 years. After Barber was born, I didn't return to teaching and now stay at home.

21. What year did you graduate?
I graduated from high school in 1988.

22. Who was your Senior Prom Date?
Joe. We were friends from church.

23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion?
Yes. I cannot believe my 20 year is next year!!!

Thanks to lil' sis for this meme. If you would like to participate, consider yourself tagged! Let me know if you did it, so that I will visit your blog and learn a little more about you!

3 comments:

Krazy Klingers said...

Ok I did it too but before you read it remember that I am a changed woman of God now. Please don't think any less of me...LOL

Promises said...

I forgot Mr. Fonseca in my list of teachers! I loved him!

Remember: "We take for our foundation, the Word forever laid, that through the changing ages is never changed nor swayed..." that is part of our song.

I did not realize that you taught 8 years - I thought that it was 7 like me...you see - I learned something new about you! :)

Tarrah said...

this was fun to read :)
I will not do it however, that time of my life is not something I really want to remember, you were much better than me :)

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...