I know that I missed Father's Day in Bloggityville because we were on vacation but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to honor my Dad. Two years ago we planned a 'Celebration of Life' party for him (our version of a retirement party) and I made him a surprise scrapbook with letters from family and friends as well as pictures. I dug up what I wrote to my Dad and here it is, edited of course.
Phrases that describe my Dad: my hero, one of my best friends, my confidant, my study partner, an individual that taught me what trust is, a great storyteller, my debate partner, unconditional love, and the list goes on and on and on…
My hero. You are the best Daddy Waddy Doodle all the Day – and for the last 34-1/2 years (now 36-1/2) you have held that title! On a more serious note, I have always looked up to you. Didn’t matter what was going on around me – I always knew I could count on my Dad – you would always be there. None of the neighborhood kids would mess with your girls and it wasn’t because we were so tough. I remember when Paul and the boy down the street were throwing mud balls at Lil' sis and me. We told them to stop and they joked back saying they wouldn’t and "what were we going to do about it anyway?” I told them I would get my Dad. They threw another one – and I got you. When you were done with them they didn’t throw another thing at us again. Years later, Peter came by on his bike and began cursing at us. I told him he was not allowed to use that language on our property. We went back and forth and then he said he was going to get someone to take care of us. I asked who it was and he told me – it was the boy with Paul from years earlier. I told him to “go ahead, he won’t hurt us”. Peter said “we would just see about that”. Sure enough they came down together on their bikes – the boy looked at us and asked Peter “these are the girls?” He said “yes” and the boys’ response was “sorry, you are on your own. If you mess with them, you mess with their Dad and I am not doing that”. Dad, you demonstrated what it is like to be a child of GOD – if anyone messes with us, then they have to deal with our Heavenly Father. How powerful that is!!! What a life lesson you demonstrated to us – and just because you are a loving daddy. Thank you Daddy.
One of my best friends and confidant. You are! I enjoy spending time with you. Making Friday night pizza runs or just “going for a ride” in the truck while you ran a bunch of errands are a couple of my memories. Now, you go for a ride with me! I am always able to talk to you about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. I remember how I felt very different when I heard my girlfriends talking about their dads. It was as if they were strangers to them. I knew I was different and I was GLAD I was different. You were not a stranger to me. I talked to you about everything – even what could be classified as “girl stuff”. You never acted uncomfortable or awkward – if you had I would not have had the freedom to talk to you about what was most important to me. I knew you cared for me and loved me – and still do. I also knew you would always be honest with me and tell me like it is. Nothing was “sugar-coated”. You also would make time for me. When no one else would, you would play a game with me. Yahtzee and Tile Rummy were our favorites. Thank you. Those little things that may have seemed so insignificant at the time – it meant EVERYTHING. Thank you Daddy.
My study partner. For so many years – until college – then Simms took over. I would have you test me on everything. I know you were very happy when I was done with the paces and in a “real” school system again. Those things frustrated you – although I did VERY well in math. Hmmm, wonder who I got that skill from? Hee hee. Then you would quiz me so I could be ready for my tests. The biggest weeks would be for my midterms and finals throughout high school. You never said “no”. Even as you struggled pronouncing all of the Spanish vocabulary – we just giggled through it all. And I graduated with honors. Thank you for never saying no and always making me/family a priority. Another life lesson I learned simply from your example. Thank you Daddy.
You taught me how important TRUST is – and I have always been more hesitant and cautious than others. I remember you standing at the bottom of the stairs and saying “jump”. I would ask/beg/plead for Lil' sis to go first – and then even after I saw you catch her I would still struggle. But you never gave up on me – you always encouraged me to trust you - no matter how long or hard your day was you didn’t get aggravated with my hesitation. Why? I guess you knew how important it was for me to learn how to trust – so that as I grew up I would be able to take the leaps that faith requires us to do. Thank you for that Dad. Thank you for never getting annoyed with me. Thank you for always encouraging me. Thank you so much. Because of your example of “father” to me – my faith in God hasn’t been a struggle. Sure, I have had my moments with God but I know that when God says “trust me” I don’t hesitate. Thank you Daddy.
A great story teller! You always put a smile on my face. And I could listen to the stories again and again and again. I think the reason why is because as you tell it, it is almost like hearing it for the first time again – almost. This was one of the attributes I asked God for my future husband to have – someone who could tell stories well and who could make me smile. Simms definitely has this trait. In fact, the first time I met him, he made me laugh and smile. I walked back to my dorm room and said “Thank you God, I needed that”. Only HE knew then that Simms would become my husband 4-1/2 years later! I have been laughing and smiling ever since – 11-1/2 years (now 13-1/2) and counting. Thank you Daddy.
My debate partner. This is something that I think is unique to us. In spite of everything, we haven’t always seen eye to eye on a variety of issues. And so we would “discuss” our differing points of view – which sometimes got VERY HEATED. What makes us different is that after those heated discussions, we were fine. Within five minutes, we could be laughing about something else, hugging and kissing. Honestly, I never knew we were unique in this until Simms pointed it out to me. Hee hee. I know these discussions weren’t always pleasant, but through it you taught me how to think things through. We also challenged and stretched one another. I believe I developed a lot of my reasoning and processing skills as a result. Today, I am a very logical thinker and I don’t just take what someone says as truth. I dissect it, examine it, and critique it. These are skills I attempted to teach my students. Our world needs more people to do this. Daddy, thank you for helping me to develop these skills.
My Valentine. It wasn’t always easy to be the girl that didn’t have a boy like her at school. I definitely had some insecurity as a result – but it would have been far worse if I didn’t have you. You always made me feel special. It is because of you that I was willing to wait for the right guy – for the one who would treat me like I was as precious as the diamond he would place on my finger. I always knew I was your princess and so I wouldn’t allow anyone to treat me less than you did. Thank you for that. I knew I was valuable because of you Dad. As a result I waited for Simms and I am so blessed. He loves me so much and respects me. I couldn’t ask for anything better. Thank you Daddy.
Your Unconditional Love. I never knew another kind of love. I don’t comprehend how people can love their family members any other way. And yet, many do not know what it is to be loved unconditionally…especially from their daddy. I do. I know I wasn’t the most difficult child to rear. Both Lil' sis and I were “good kids”. This isn’t by accident. I believe the main reason why I stayed away from "bad" stuff is because I didn’t have to look for love/comfort. I had it! You and Mom created the most amazing environment for us to grow up in. We weren’t perfect, but I see me now – a product of my growing up – and I wouldn’t change a thing. Again, because you loved us unconditionally, we knew how to receive that love from our Heavenly Father. I also know how to give it – it is the ONLY way I know how to love. Thank you Daddy.
This barely encompasses all you are to me. Thank you for being the Man of Integrity that you are. I wouldn’t be the person I am today if you were not such a strong part of my life.
I LOVE YOU DADDY! “I’ll always be the little girl in your heart”
19 June 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
3 comments:
How beautiful! I LOVED the bit about the boys down the street. What great stories. What great memeories. :) Wonderful tribute.
beautiful!
This is so touching, I am in tears. I wish I could write something like this to my dad, but the truth is I was one of those girls who's dad was like a stranger. You foster my hope that my husband and three daughters will have what I didn't. Thanks.
Post a Comment