14 February 2007

Valentines Day Journey

Valentines Day and I have a love-hate relationship.

The "I really don't like this day and don't understand what the big deal is" side of it:
I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16 - which for me wasn't until my junior year of high school. As a result a battle would ensue in my mind every Valentines Day - I would desire to receive a rose or carnation or note from someone special and yet hoped I wouldn't because...well...what would I have to do/say if someone was actually interested? Would I have to tell them that even though I liked him (if I did) we could only be friends because I wasn't allowed to date? The mere thought left me mortified.

The "I love this day..." side of it:
Every year I knew I would have one valentine...my Dad! He was the best. Every year he gave me, my sister and my mom a box of chocolates. Mom's was always the larger box but we didn't care. We knew we were special and that our Daddy loved us! We still do today. Even though I have now been married for 13 years and my lil' sis for 4-1/2 years, Dad still gives us a box of chocolates with a card reminding us how special we are.

My first REAL valentine:
Simms and I started dating junior year of college. He sent me on a scavenger hunt throughout the day. I woke up to find a white rose with a card containing a note giving me a clue to my next destination (My roommate helped smuggle that in!). It was to where we first met - zoology class. Outside the classroom door (where Simms currently had genetics), I found a peach rose and another note. That clue brought me to the library where I found a note in a book on dolphins. Finally, I met him down by the creek where he gave me a red rose and sang a song that he wrote for me. It was then that he told me he loved me.

It no longer mattered - all those years of being without a valentine. I was just waiting for my one, true valentine!

Valentines Day Now...
I realize how important it was for my Daddy to be my valentine all those years. Although it felt lonely at times, to not receive a special something at school, I knew I was loved and didn't need to find it elsewhere. His love kept me grounded. Now, Simms and I have two precious boys - and every Valentines Day, I give them a box of chocolates. Sure, they are excited because it is candy...but maybe someday just knowing how much they are loved will keep them grounded too. And me? Simms still makes me cry...a good cry. I am so blessed!

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...