21 February 2007

Growing Pains

I never had growing pains as a child - probably because I grew at a relatively slow rate. I celebrated finally reaching 5 feet when I was a freshman in high school and somehow grew 4 more inches by the time I entered college.

According to this site, growing pains usually happen in boys (another reason why I didn't experience them). They may cry because of the throbbing of their legs at night. It is believed that the probable cause of this pain is due to the jumping, climbing, running and other active play that they are involved in during the day. Sometimes the pain is so intense that is can wake a child up from their sleep.

This past Sunday, Rick Ridings was a guest speaker at our church. He spoke about being a watchman. He said that although we aren't to focus on the enemy, we cannot ignore him and hope he goes away. We need to be aware that he is real and present. We need to be prepared to battle - mostly through prayer. He highlighted five areas that we are to watch over:
  1. Family - pray protection over them
  2. The Harvest - pray protection over your leaders
  3. Our Position or Assignment - it is not accidental where we are (workplace/home/location/etc). If you aren't sure where this applies for you beyond vocation think about what it is that you have a burden or passion for.
  4. Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem - pray that the right people will be in office in Israel before the next battle.
  5. The Lord - note that where there is a battle, you have to do what you gotta do but you NEED to FOCUS on God!

Currently one of my family members is going through a really hard place. He feels abandoned and alone. He is stressed. He feels helpless and unappreciated. He has been screaming on the inside and it's starting to leak out. The most difficult part is that this doesn't just affect him - it affects the entire family. I do not know exactly what he is going through but I ache because he does.

The one thing that I can equate what he is walking through is what I am calling spiritual growing pains. He is actively pursuing God (the daytime activity) and desires to follow after Him with his whole heart. Whenever someone is following the path He has for them, they will be open to attack - and the enemy will strike where we are weak. The enemy will attempt to confuse and cause a lack of focus through a variety of means - including the validity of what you do and who you are. On the site it mentions that there is no true cure for growing pains...the child just has to get through it. He has to get through this. I cannot fix what is going on in this persons life. I cannot make it better. In fact, even though I am not actually going through this, I HAVE been awakened in the middle of my sleep sensing pain!

I refuse to give up or give in. I need to be the watchman. I need to pray. I am weary and broken but I NEED TO PRAY. I pray for a hedge of protection to surround him daily. I pray against confusion. I pray that no weapon formed against him shall prosper. I pray protection over his position - the very place where God put him and the enemy is trying to steal away. I unite the family in prayer and make sure my words never cause division. I don't condone the talk that is laced with anger, frustration, confusion...but I listen. I pray. I admit it sometimes feels like it is too hard for me to bear for one more minute. But I have to. I have to be the watchman. I have to remember to not focus on the circumstances but on the one who is in control of ALL THINGS.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12

This is my battle cry.

The battle belongs to the LORD. Period.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing you are to your family! Your faith-filled battle stance, and your faithful petitions are an encouragement to me: to keep on keepin' on, to press in and not go down without a fight. I appreciate your heart-wrenching honesty here, and feel encouraged in my own journey.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...