31 January 2007

More Cooking Goodness

I was cooking more today. Yes, that means that I did NOT get it all done by my original deadline - this past Sunday.

Today I made White Chicken Chili. It took 2 hours to make BUT I am getting 4 dinners out of it and 2 lunches (for JC). Last time I did a massive amount of cooking in October I made Corn Chowder which translated into 4 dinners for us. Definitely worth the time.

I am in process of cooking two roasts right now - which will also translate into 4 meals. Hooray!

If you like pot roast - this is the best! I received the recipe from my Gramma but I really don't know if it is a "family" recipe or if she got it out of a cook book. Either way, I don't think she would mind if other families were able to share in the yumminess.

Gramma's Pot Roast
Round Roast
Onion (chopped) - 1 large or 2 medium
Garlic (minced) amount? Anywhere from 1 tsp to 1 Tbs
1 can tomato soup
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. Brown roast on all sides, discard drippings
2. Saute onion and garlic. Return roast to pot
3. Add salt and pepper
4. Pour in tomato soup and one can water
5. Simmer for about 2 hours.
6. Remove roast and slice (against the grain)
7. Return meat to pot and simmer for another 1-2 hours (my dad is a HUGE advocate of 2 hours - says the meat is more tender)
8. Remove meat. Make a slurry of 2-3 Tbs. corn starch (add water to it to make a smooth paste) and add it to the sauce in the pot to thicken it. Pour sauce over meat.

This freezes well. Just put the meat and sauce into freezable containers and let it cool. Then cover it with saran wrap and the cover.

I am officially DONE cooking all of my meals - the freezer is PACKED!!! I apologize to any readers who may be completely bored with reading about food. I will move onto other more exciting/riveting/mundane topics once again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am finishing up two meals tonight, and then I will have a total of 12 meals that are prepped in my freezer - plus there are a bunch of other things in there to cook - but not prepped and ready to go!

I am excited about making pizza again this weekend - I hope that it comes out really tasty! I was reading about the technique to make your own and freeze it. I may have to try that!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tips and the recipes!

BTW, we are trying your Pistachio Chicken recipe on Tilapia... possibly with some variations. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...