13 December 2006

Christmas Dinner

Growing up, I never really thought about what other people ate on Christmas. I just assumed everyone ate what we did. That is, until I met Simms. He pointed out to me that he didn't know ANYONE that ate what we did.

My Aunt CR and Uncle BR hosted Christmas for the family. After we opened our presents, we would snack on some treats, maybe play with a new toy, or pick out what new piece of clothing we wanted to wear that day (this was one of the few times that my mother would allow us to wear something new before it was washed). Then it was time to shower and get ready to go to my Aunt and Uncles house. I couldn't tell you what the adults had as appetizers...they seemed to always get them out after we were downstairs entertaining ourselves. Then, we might get wind of the fact that there was food and be able to get a couple of cashews or cucumber slice, or maybe even a slice of cheese. I think sometimes there were chips and dip. Anyway, for dinner, the adults ate upstairs and we ate downstairs. We had meatballs and sausage with pasta. The pasta was "plain" because my Italian cousins don't like sauce. If you are thinking, "is this actually possible?!?" let me tell you, it truly is. To top that off, at least one of my cousins even likes his meatballs sauce-free. As a result, we added butter or sauce to the pasta ourselves. There was usually corn as the vegetable, some type of jello mold, Italian bread and maybe even some orange bread. We were also allowed to drink soda. I later learned that the adults would have meatballs, sausage and peppers, pork, stuffed shells or manicotti, maybe even lasagna. Just typing this is making my mouth water.

Enter Simms' family. I honestly cannot tell you what they ate (I know truly pathetic!!!) I do remember they would have quiche in the morning with half a grapefruit and some kind of pastry. I think dinner varied...there was always some kind of meat for dinner (I know...totally lacking on specifics here) with Nana's spinach casserole as a side and potatoes. I always liked the meal...but I missed the Italian food.

The first number of years of our relationship and marriage we didn't have to think about what we would cook because we were either in Long Island or New Jersey. But then, with the birth of Jeter and our desire to spend Christmas in PA, we had to decide what to do. I think one year we made turkey and another year we had ham. Finally I shared with Simms how much I missed my "Italian Christmas". Now, we host Christmas for our family and guess what is on the menu...sausage with peppers and onions, chicken parmesan, maybe meatballs, butternut squash and/or sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, Nana's spinach casserole, and maybe some corn for the boys. Italian bread, maybe some cranberry or orange bread, and my mom makes her lime jello salad too. What I love best about this meal is that it isn't exactly like either of the meals we had growing up. Well, maybe the dinner is more like my Aunts', but we do have some type of egg casserole and 1/2 a grapefruit for breakfast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi honey - I enjoy remembering the good 'old' day's Christmas. This year was a little different, only 6 of us around the "adult" table and no one downstairs. However the menu was similiar. Love and miss all of you. Aunt Cr

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...