Running errands for me has been a science. I use lists which map out where I need to go and what items are to be purchased at each location. I plan for the window of time that I have available, accounting for driving time and approximate time needed to select and purchase the listed items. This helps to determine the order of destination(s) which will hopefully minimize wasted time and gas.
I realize not everyone shops this way. Notice, I don't even refer to it as shopping...I am completing a task, hence "errands". However, for a number of my friends (ok, almost everyone I know), shopping is an art. They actually look forward to the potential of running into someone and having spontaneous conversation. Really...they do!!! Historically, depending on how I am doing on time, I either avoid the conversation or keep it brief. A large part of this is due to where I grew up. I was taught to not make eye contact with strangers and you certainly did NOT say "hello" to someone that you didn't know. It was important to walk with purpose...not dilly dally. I even developed skills to prevent others from slowing me down. I have never seen this in PA, but in NY, especially around the holidays, you would have people in the department stores armed to spray you with their special-new-must-have-fragrance that would make your stomach turn and eyes water. It was pointless to politely refuse; this only caused them to be more aggressive in their brief but oh so annoying sales pitch/spray. As a defense tactic, when I had to walk through one of those obligatory sensory overloaded pathways, my hand would go up as my step quickened and I would look past the individual. I know, I know, completely and totally rude.
This is why my "errand running" yesterday is worth noting. Barber and I went to the local Giant with list in hand and timeframe noted. The difference is that I willingly had 3 separate, meaningful, spontaneous conversations! I didn't try to avoid them! It didn't irritate me that my shopping time was delayed 10+ minutes causing the trip to the Post Office to be postponed! Has this change been instant? No, there are a variety of factors involved, one of which is change of location. Living in PA for the last 12 years has had a HUGE impact. I know Pennsylvania isn't the south, but it IS for this Long Islander. I have softened. I say hello to strangers. I still have purpose and order and seldom dilly dally, but there is a new flexibility.
Change is GOOD.
22 December 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
3 comments:
People really do look forward for conversations with strangers? I do find that odd too - I think that I am a bit like you. I will briefly talk with someone at the store that I do not know, but not for a long time. I do enjoy seeing people that I know in the store if time permits me to have a conversation. I felt like on LI, that we rarely saw people that we knew in the store - maybe due to the fact that we went to private school - so, that is a nice change here.
Lil' sis...absolutely you are like me! :) Who is one of my most favorite people to shop with??? YOU!!! So, the tactic was certainly not mine alone. I just didn't want to "label" you inappropriately. I believe there is merit to our attending SBS.
I grew up, most of my life, in the south, but I was always "about my own business." My parents are from the north - maybe that is why?? But, when I began dating the sweet southern gentleman that I am now married to , one of the things I admired most about him was the way he made conversation with everyone. He would smile and ask the Wal-Mart checker how her day was. . . and then he would wait to really listen to her answer. Now after 7 years of marriage, I do the same thing, and I love it!! It makes you feel so good to make a stranger smile!
Post a Comment