21 November 2006

24...and I am not talking about the TV drama series!

Everyone is "buzzing" about getting ready for the holidays. And I must confess there is quite a lot on my "to do" list as well. Getting ready for Thanksgiving, Papa's wedding, then our annual open house, etc. But after today's Mom's In Action meeting, instead of crossing stuff off my list I am actually adding something to my list and am rather excited about it.

Our guest speaker today was Emily Chase. She is a professor at Messiah College and has written a number of books. Today, however, she just spoke to us as a mom and shared with us a tradition that began in her family about 30 years ago! Essentially she selects/creates a theme each year that allows her family to spend time together and focus on the meaning of Christmas. Some of the themes she has done in the past include names of Christ, miraculous births, Christmas carols, ancestors of Christ, friends of Jesus Christ, things Jesus left when he came to earth from heaven, and verses that deal with light. Once a theme is selected she decorates a box/tin as a gift and places it on the kitchen table. Each day the family will open the "gift" which will include something, related to the theme, for them to discuss or do together - Bible verses are included.

I know my brief summation doesn't do justice to what she shared but I was so inspired by it. In my minds eye, I can imagine how much fun Jeter would have with this and believe that even Barber would benefit. The key is coming up with a theme that would be at there age level now and one that would build a strong foundation for them and their faith. After putting Barber down for his nap and putting together 2 pecan pies (they are in the oven now) it hit me...24 things that God created! Yes, I can do plants and animals, but even things like free will and family and brotherhood and...lots of ideas coming now. I have got to get busy on this...I need 24 things with scripture to support it. This means that amidst Thanksgiving planning and celebrating, visiting with family from the west coast and north or us, and celebrating the union of Papa and Mima, I have to prepare for my theme so that we can begin December 1st!!! With that said, I bid you good-bye...for now anyway.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Great idea! You can work on it on your car ride this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I am SO happy that the Lord gave you a theme for this year. I would like to do it also - I am asking the Lord for an idea for my family!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...