27 October 2006

Driving In Circles

Just because I am from Long Island - and that is near NYC does not mean that I am a "city girl".

Friday's events further attest to this fact. Barber and I met Jeter for lunch on Friday and then we left to enjoy our afternoon. After hearing so much about Curiosity Connection, I thought that this would be the day to try it out. Jeter was dismissed early from school and it was supposed to be a rainy afternoon - so this would be a great indoor activity and should provide a few hours of fun - right? The boys were certainly excited about the prospect.

I got directions off of MapQuest, had the bag packed with Barber and Jeter essentials and drove with confidence into the city (not a huge city mind you). I found the place and then circled 4 times trying to find a parking space. The question "are we there yet?" was ironic - the answer was yes and yet clearly no. When I finally found a space I discovered that 25 cents only buys you 10 minutes (I have only really gone into this city on the weekend when parking is free) and the machine ONLY accepts quarters. That wasn't going to work. My 50 cents would allow us to get out and walk to the museum only to turn around and walk back to the car. I considered parking in the garage I saw a few blocks away...but I didn't bring the stroller...didn't think I would need it...and we were expecting rain. Clearly, I was not as prepared as I thought I was.

So we left the city and drove to a park where the boys ran around, went down slides, I pushed them on the swings, they played in the pretend castle and then in the sand. Did I mention that it was 42 degrees out?!? We lasted 45 minutes and then got in the car to head home before the pending rain.

Simms smiled at the tale and agreed that we would go as a family on Saturday.

Now, living in PA has also shown me that I am not a "country girl" either...so where does that leave me?

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...