18 December 2006

Football Venting and Barber's Critique

Yesterday Simms drove to New Jersey to see the Giants play the Eagles at the Meadowlands. It is the last game that he will see "live" with his dad and two uncles. I watched it at my parents' house with Jeter and Barber. Both of us were poised to make some sweet memories with family. Unfortunately...the game didn't provide any hint of "sweetness" to our memories. Nope. It is at this time that I will advise all the non-football-fan-readers to skip the next paragraph of writing, while those of you who may enjoy my moment of venting can read on.

Now, even though it is obvious that I like football, and more specifically the Giants, as detailed here, here, here, and here, I am getting frustrated with the turn (for the worse) that has occurred this season. I know injuries have played a role; the lack of Strahan, Arrington, O'Hara and Toomer, as well others, has definitely hampered the success we were seeing at the beginning of the season. I know this is part of the game. It is not like this is the first team this has ever happened to...but... BUT...can we get a little creative with the play calling and not appear so juvenile? I know I am not an expert but even I know whether the play is going to involve Barber or Jacobs. How can I not when they are seemingly never on the offense together in the same play!!! And yes, I know Jacobs made a costly fumble yesterday, but then it seems as though he was told to sit. Why?!? I don't see Coughlin sitting Manning for the next two quarters due to his lack of precision!!! Who is really being punished here??? Jacobs or the entire Giants team and fan base?!? As I watched the TV last night I could hear Simms saying/yelling "play action pass" and "could we not be more obvious with the play calling...hmmm let's see it's the first down...I think they will pass..." Ugh. I am not going to analyze every play from yesterday. I know, you are all breathing a huge sigh of relief. I just don't have the time or the energy. It is done. We lost. Total bummer. But don't fret, next game, I will still be cheering them on. They are my team - the New York Giants - and I will continue to be a fan...through the good, the bad, and even the ugly (I just want to see more of the first and less of the rest!).

Now, for all of you non football fans, here is what my dear Barber had to say about his mommy today. I woke him up after I got ready (got out of bed, washed face, brushed teeth, put a minimal amount of makeup on, brushed hair, and pulled the top of it (my hair) up in a barrette).

He looks at me with a puzzled, scrunched up face and says, "Mommy...hair?"

He repeats himself two more times and then I realize he is noticing that it looks different.

So I say, "Yes, honey, Mommy did her hair different today".

Barber states strongly, "No like hair Mommy. No."

That's nice. Thank you very much. Good morning to you too. Those were my thoughts. My grown-up response was "That's ok. You don't have to."

I assume this is the end of the conversation. We go on with our day - bring Jeter to the bus stop, walk home, have breakfast, play with trains and trucks, and then he stops and looks at me and says "Mommy, don't like hair. No. No like it."

This time I said nothing.

I guess he really is opposed to my "new" look today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BC is a RIOT! That is SO FUNNY!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...