I have been a Pennsylvanian since December '94 which means I have been here for approximately 35% of my life. If you add in the 3 years of college that were spent here, it increases to 43%.
Why? Why? Why am I telling you this or even took time to figure it out?
Well for one, I like numbers and the perspective they give. But the more relevant reason is that my parents came back yesterday from a visit to Long Island. While there, I had called to see how they were doing and got to talk with two of my cousins and my Aunt (no official blog names for them yet). Oh how I miss them!!! Have to make a trip this summer!
Upon my parents return to PA, they brought a dozen bagels from our favorite childhood shop...Strathmore Bagels. Yum. My most favoritist bagel is Super Onion - it is like an egg bagel with poppy seeds throughout and covered with onions. Yes, we have bagel shops here but I have yet to find the equivalent to this bagel. There are even shops that claim to have 'New York Style Bagels'. Do they really know what that is?!? By some of the products out there, I think not. Why are bagels so important? In the grand scheme of things, they're not. But in the temporal life - right now - this special treat is mmm mmm gooooooood.
Growing up, every Sunday after church, a trip would be made to a local bagel shop (usually Strathmore's) and we would purchase a dozen bagels. Lil' sis liked pumpernickel and sesame. Dad enjoyed garlic, everything and super onion. Mom liked pumpernickel, everything, onion, cinnamon raisin, sesame, etc. I already mentioned my favorite but I would enjoy any - except pumpernickel. Sometimes we ate them with butter. Others with cream cheese. Sometimes toasted. A special treat was when Mom or Dad would splurge and purchase a specialty cream cheese like 'green olive' or 'scallion' and when Simms came on the scene 'apple cinnamon'. Obviously we were not a big-meal-on-Sunday family. Bagels, coffee and juice kept us very very happy.
This is one tradition that unfortunately has ceased since the move to PA. *sigh*
The last couple of Long Island purchases were disappointing - the bagel started to get smaller and not meeting our expectations...but last night Strathmore came through again and I enjoyed every bite of my super onion bagel! I have since learned that the LI based business has franchised. I would love to see one open here but am concerned that the myth (NY water supply being the 'secret' ingredient) would be proven true! Could we import NY's water?
25 June 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
7 comments:
Bob & Zory always bring Mr. Clean and I everything bagels when they go to New York to visit family. We freeze them and eat them throughout the months until there is another NY trip. I LOVE the everything and the sesame ones. Now I am hungry for bagels!
you should taste what passes for "NY style bagels" out here in Seattle. Their half the size, their not even boiled and they cost heck of a lot more.
I have to admit that this time they were a lot better tasting! I loved Sunday bagel day...
Oh yummmy! I lived in NYC suburbs (in NJ) till I was 8, and we frequented a bagel shop on Sundays as well. (I always wanted "the white stuff" because I could never remember the name of cream cheese).
I've found Bob's Bagels in Lemoyne to be the best around here. I love to eat them when they're still warm, without any toppings. I'm always disappointed when I try a bagel somewhere else locally. However, I can't say they even compare to fresh NY bagels as I haven't had those on a regular basis since childhood. I did have them once as an adult but that was 15 years ago!
Nice to meet you 'Hands-free Heart'. I wonder if I know you???
Anyhoo, you are the second one (recently) to tell me about the Bob's Bagels in Lemoyne so I am going to have to take the plunge and try them.
Growing up in Md. I worked in a bakery owned by 2 brothers who grew up in NYC, they used to make the best bagels. I would always enjoy one every Sat. morning on my break.
I still think of those bagels!
See what you did.....you got me thinking of those bagels....now I am craving one. LOL!
Maybe all of us PA gals should get together and open a bagel bakery.
Preach it! ;) They were one of the first things mourned when we moved here...then it was pizza
Post a Comment