
Recently I had the opportunity to read the book Wait Until Then by Randy Alcorn to both Jeter and Barber.
This book provided an opportunity for Simms and I to converse with the boys about a variety of topics - based on their individual level of understanding.
The main character, Nathan, suffers from spina bifida and is confined to a wheelchair. This alone promoted discussion regarding those that struggle with various disabilities. Nathan's grandfather suffers from cancer. This hit home since we have had many family members struggle with various forms of cancer (Nana died August 2002, Aunt KC died February 2006 and Poppy has been successfully fighting cancer on and off since 1998). The family in this story talks about Jesus, the purpose of His life and death, Heaven and the New Earth. These topics are successfully interwoven throughout the storyline that makes it easier for children to comprehend and ask questions. Alcorn also provides a detailed reference page for parents, grandparents and other adults that may be reading the book to a child.
The book is recommended for children ages 6-10. I agree that if you are looking for a book to promote discussion on the various topics above, this is an excellent tool for this age group. However, I would note that my 3 year old was captivated by the illustrations and storyline as well. Over vacation, he kept asking me to read him "the baseball story". My only reservation is the level of attraction little girls would have toward the storyline (baseball, fishing, etc.).
No comments:
Post a Comment