I know food again. What can I say? My ode to super onion bagels got my mouth watering and my mind remembering some other long lost flavors of the Island...Long Island that is.
I don't know if you truly understand the weight with which these two words carry. Seriously. Click on the link. Read the reviews. And this was practically in my back yard! I had no idea the gift that was a couple of miles from our front door. Yes, I know...I am talking about pizza. But remember my family had some funny traditions. Fridays were often pizza nights. Every return home from college, I would request a 'pizza night'. Sicilian. Maybe with onions or mushrooms. Didn't matter. Yum.********************COLOSSEO'S PIZZA********************
Alas, I have tried to find a proper substitute but it has never happened. We gave up on even the attempt to find a place that made a Sicilian pie. A real Sicilian pie. No - Sicilian does not simply mean pizza in the shape of a rectangle. I know that is what those other pizzerias want to trick you into believing but trust me. Its. Just. Not. True. We have found some pizzerias where the round pizzas came close to substituting Colosseo's but then something happens and they change...
The first place was owned and operated by a retired man who had moved from Brooklyn. Ahhhh, the taste of NY pizza right here in central PA! Then he retired again. What was he thinking?!? LOL. Our search continued. We found another pizzeria. Sauce wasn't quite right but we adapted to that difference. It's a matter of survival folks. Ownership changed hands and voila...quality changed...not in a good way. Bummer. The quest began again. Our answer came with pizzeria #3. Yum. We have been faithful customers for at least three years. Quality of taste is still good but recently prices increased and size seemed to decrease. Customer satisfaction is not so satisfied. So we are back to square one.
The quest continues...
3 comments:
I hear you sis - and I am not even happy with the #3 place - it is just not Colesseo's (how ever you spell it). I would love to find a place that matches that pizza place - but I think that we would have to get them to relocate!
Pizza is not the same here in OA - if someone knows of a really good place, I would like to know
Brady says Hi - he is waving
Have you guys ever tried Jigsy's? That's "Avoca style" pizza, and while it's not authentic Sicilian, we really enjoyed it. Especially love their white pizza. It was fun for us to go there for a taste of home (I grew up a town over from Avoca, PA).
It seems that it doesn't matter the actual food, what matters is that it's what you "grew up" on - what you remember from your childhood. We all have a food like that - for me, it's really good chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream. AAAAAAH - the memories :)
We had the exact same thing just happen. We've been extremely loyal the last couple of years to a new place in Camp Hill. Just went there over the weekend and as we were eating something tasted different. Jim inquired and learned they have new management and have changed a few ingredients to keep cost down. So we're looking too!
Post a Comment