13 December 2010

Homemade Applesauce

Do you ever have a surplus of apples? I often do because I love buying apples in the fall from local farms / orchards. It is rare that a day passes when someone in my family has not eaten an apple. My absolute favorite apple to eat is Fuji - it's crispy and sweet. That reminds me...I need to get more of those!

This year I purchased Soncrisp apples and Cortland - these were split with my mom and sis. Seriously LOVE living so close to them! Anyway, the Soncrisp were great the first day but then they fell into the same category for me as the Cortland - the I don't really care to cut up and munch on this apple category. They are what I would call soft and mushy which means they are excellent for apple pies or crisps. They are even great to cut up and freeze for use in making your own fruit smoothies.

That's what I usually do with them but this year I decided to try my hand at making homemade apple sauce.

Never did that before. My sister made some and Jeter absolutely loved it. I told her I needed the recipe. She smiled and even giggled a bit but was nice and posted it on her blog. After making my own apple sauce, I understand why she kind of rolled her eyes at me. It really isn't that difficult to make but I needed the recipe in hand to give me the confidence to try it by myself in my own kitchen.

Good news is, it turned out great! I even thought to take before and after photos.



Before:






After:



You may have noticed that the pot has changed. I learned (in process) that a wider / smaller pot is more beneficial than the taller stock pot. I also felt more comfortable mashing it in the shorter pot...my arms didn't have to go down as far to the bottom!



No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...