17 April 2010

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Whether you shoot it, throw it, hit it or kick it - if it's a sport that one of my kiddos is participating in, then I want to be there. But you can't always get what you want.

Today I was with Barber at his T-ball game while Simms was with Jeter at his soccer game. I want to be at both. So would Simms but he is able to be at all of Barber's games during the week. There is a difference though - Simms helps coach. I cheer and encourage and sometimes bring snacks. The current schedule is great for Simms - he assists with Barber's team during the week and Jeter's on the weekend. I just don't get to see Jeter play as much - this spring anyway. New schedule in the fall and that may make a difference.

Some moms or dads might not care. They might be relieved that they can split stuff up between the parents. I will admit it is definitely easier on the time commitment but there's another part of me that doesn't like this. Not one little bit.

Late this morning we each returned home. While the boys played, Simms and I sat at the kitchen table together and took turns. I told him about Barber's game and how he got two outs. One where he stopped the ball and threw it to second and his teammate caught it. The other where he stopped the ball and tagged the base before the runner got there. I watched Simms' face light up amazed at what our little guy did and how much he has improved in just one week. Simms told me about Jeter's game - how he has improved at playing his position and being able to change gears when he is on defense or at midfield. He told me how he stopped the ball with his chest and allowed it to fall to his feet and then was able to move it forward. As he spoke I imagined what that would have looked like and I'm sure my face lit up too.

1 comment:

Trish said...

That's a bummer that the two schedules conflict. I have to admit that we tag team quite a bit at our house, but due to stress levels, not schedules! It somehow seems trickier to manage expectations and interactions when there are three people instead of two, although we are trying to do some things as a family instead of just with mom or with dad.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...