30 March 2009

Can Anyone Tell Me Where to Find the Okra?

Labels.

They are useful for organization. I label folders and bins and storage containers. I'm even thankful that products are labeled. Can you imagine a spice cabinet without labels?

Labels are time-savers. Do you know how long it would take me to shop without labels? Too long. I like the fact that items are classified and labeled. I know that regardless of what supermarket I go into, if I find the dairy section, I will find milk. I also appreciate that I don't have to search through a bunch of baby dolls and diapers to find a basketball when I visit a toy store.

The only time that I thoroughly resist labels is when it comes to people.

When I meet someone, I don't want to know what so-and-so might have to tell me about that individual. I prefer to get to know them myself.

There are so many avenues I could take at this juncture but the one that is most relevant to my corner is in reference to my dear Jeter. Earlier this school year it was recommended that we apply to have him tested and considered for the gifted program. This really wasn't a surprise to us but I hesitated.

Why? I don't want my son labeled. I don't want others to judge him before they know him. I don't want him to be stereotyped or placed in a box. I can't really protect him from this. It happens everyday. The key is to teach him how to handle the effects of it - which requires a forgiving heart that surrenders daily to God. Ultimately, this will lead to a healthy mindset that I included in my 25 Random Things post when I stated, People don't scare me. Disobedience to God does. The process through which I learned this (at the age of 15) wasn't easy but it was worth it and has kept me focused the past 20+ years of my life. I just cannot believe that Jeter is already in process of learning this and he is only 7.

So...what did we do?
  • Prayed and filled out the application.
  • Prayed and mailed the application.
  • Prayed and allowed them to test Jeter.
  • Prayed and scheduled an appointment with the team of "experts".
  • Prayed and both accepted and agreed with their recommendation for Jeter to participate in the gifted program.

Sidenote - this would help summarize why I haven't been blogging lately...lots of praying going on!

The result? He starts this week. I have complete peace that this is part of God's plan for his life right now. Does this mean a new label has been placed on Jeter? I guess in the eyes of others this is a real possibility, however he isn't any different to me today then he was yesterday. My greatest concern remains the same: seeking our Father for guidance and direction regarding parenting our boys and facilitating all that He has for them.

I still don't like labels...but I can't be afraid of them or let them control me.

3 comments:

The Gang's Momma! said...

That's good stuff. I'm a label-er - everything in my house, in my folders, in my pantry, you name it, I got a label for it. In fact, today, I took out my label maker to create a binder for all of Li'l Empress's STUFF (therapies, etc.) I just have to remember that labels for people should only be tools to help us understand each other. NOT to box each other in or categorize us into groups or stages or seasons. Good reminder!

Beautiful Grace said...

I don't like labels either. We all have strengths and weaknesses, but the sum of who we are is more than a particular strength of weakness. I have been labeled according to my strengths and unfortunately, my weaknesses, but ultimalely, I press to Jesus to see what He says about me. Even at almost 45 years of age, I still struggle with what man thinks, but it is in this battle that I will grow to be more like my precious Jesus. Thanks for this post...Blessings, overflow!!!

Promises said...

Hello "Okra"...I mean sis! hee hee! (only you and I will get that!).

Great post. I know that he will love it - even if someone teases him. I pray that they do not. I was teased for my smartness, but I knew that I would rather be smart than struggle, so I don't think that it bothered me too much...I knew that they were really insecure of their lack of ability, and that was why they teased me. I do have to say that one reason why I was happy to go to SBS was that it was "cool/okay" to be smart - it was encouraged and a good thing! I think that this class with foster that in him...and that is a great thing. (did that make sense?)

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...