02 June 2008

Monday's Musings: Humor

Human speech is directly responsible for almost every thought and emotion we have throughout life's journey. The complexity of language and the complex messages we use it to communicate leave the possibilities wide open for just about anything. Among other things, people can say things that are funny. We pay good money to see comedians say funny things, and a lot of them come through. But due to the nature of the human comic sense, the deliberateness of a comedian can dilute the potential for humor. ~Rink Works

I have been quite busy lately so I'm letting my left brain rest a little bit today. This post is Barber inspired - he definitely analyzes life (asking LOTS of why-based questions) but he also has a humorous side and that smile and sparkle can truly steal your heart while you're doubled over with giggles. It is truly a joy to be his mom. The following are some of the latest Barber quotes.

"I want to see the words coming out of your mouth." This was said last night. He got out of bed and asked me a question - he was on the stairs and I was in the family room relaxing with Simms answering his question. Apparently he wanted to come downstairs to talk with me and this was his reasoning.

"Mommy, your hair is soooooo beautiful!" Okay this isn't necessarily humorous but it certainly blessed my heart and caused me to smile - he is only four. But, when I think about it, he has often vocalized his opinions on subjects such as these. At least this time it was a compliment!

"Can Spot ask Jesus into his heart?" Spot is his stuffed dog. Barber takes great care of his stuffed animals. I guess he wanted to make sure that Spot would be with him forever.

"Why do some people call covers thingamajigs?" Barber asked this while I was tucking him in to bed last night. Really? Some people do? I didn't know that. What did I tell him? That thingamajig is a term that can be used for anything when the real name is forgotten.

Note that 3 of these 4 quotes happened within a span of 20 minutes last night. Barber is truly a trip to live with. It's learning how to properly parent the humor that keeps me on my toes!

So...do you have some humorous quotes to share? Please join me today - post them and link below or simply add them to the comments. It's always fun to share the giggle and laugh together!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

"I want to see the words coming out of your mouth.".

That just cracked me up and sounds like something #3 would say to me!!

Trish said...

Those are so cute. I'll have to think about it - I really need to start writing down these things when they happen!

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

What adorable quotes. It's such a great idea to write down and remember the cute things they say. I always think 'Oh I need to write that down', but too often i don't.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...