At the heart of our relationship is our friendship - one that we treasure. I believe this is a major component of the foundation that has allowed our marriage to be strong. When we have a disagreement we work through it because beneath that annoyance, there is a deep, abiding, unconditional love of one another as 'friend' that empowers us to work through it. And we each choose daily to take responsibility and work through this life together. One such occasion occurred before kids. I don't even remember what we were arguing about (that's another thing - we forgive and forget. The past is just that...history. But that could be an entirely different post). We were cleaning upstairs in our home and he was in our bedroom and I was in the guest bath. He said the dreaded "Fine. You're right!" I should have been happy with that and felt victory at 'winning' but I didn't. There was a war going on between my flesh and spirit (flesh being satisfied and taunting victory while the spirit was sending up tons of red flags). I realized a crossroads in our relationship was presenting itself and the choice we made here and now would effect our future. I remember walking into our bedroom and saying something like "No...this is not okay. We are better than this!" We then stopped our cleaning and took time to talk it all out - get to the root of the matter - repent, forgive, forget and move on. The theme of friendship is deeply intertwined in the tapestry of who we are together.
Humor. Simms makes me laugh. Others too. Whether he is doing voice impersonations, quoting lines from some movie, or telling a story, he has the unique ability to add humor to it. It is rare for a day to pass without laughter in our corner.
Beneath his humor, there is a sensitive heart. He is compassionate and genuinely cares for others. Sometimes this leaves him vulnerable and he has been hurt. Thankfully he hasn't allowed those hurts to harden his heart. I see this sensitivity in Jeter and Barber as well. What a fine example the boys have in their Daddy.
He is a follower of God. The road has not been easy. It has had bumps, high and low places, and some lonely twists and turns. But it is always worth it. We know that there is blessing in obedience. I am thankful that Simms does not shy away from following our King. Even though he is sometimes hesitant of change, he consistently says 'yes' to God.
Not a day goes by that I am not thankful to have Simms in my life. He is a gift from God. He is my best friend. He is an amazing Daddy to the boys. He is my true companion.
Happy Birthday Simms! May God continue to guide and direct your every step. May this year mark one of growth and maturity - one where His promises continue to be revealed and fulfilled. I love you dearly!
6 comments:
Happy birthday to my brother, who I love so much! You are a blessing to my sister's life and to all of the people in our family. May the Lord continue to bless you as you continue on His path.
Love, lil' sis
This was beautiful. Beautiful content and beautifully written. It is awesome to read about well knitted marriages. I'm thankful to have one also. Many Blessings to you and Simms! :)
happy b-day bro. Love ya
Happy Birthday! What a great tribute, to you Simms and to your marriage and leadership in your home. May you have many, many more such beautiful things to write about as your years go on together!
TCC is my Angel, my True Companion, My boys Mommy, and my Friend. Other than my God, there is no other person as important to me than her (Sorry to those who might have thougth otherwise). Without her I would be lost! I love you dearly.
P.S. Remember to respect your elders even if it is only fout months!
Simms
If you didn't know...Simms is four months older than me! Talk about robbing the cradle! Hee hee. LOL
Post a Comment