Growing up, Memorial Day was one of our families "minor holidays". Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and New Years Day were the major holiday get-togethers for our family. Memorial Day, Labor Day, July 4th and anything else that we deemed a good reason to celebrate with family is what I am referring to as a minor holiday. Our time together was fun; we would have a barbecue, watch fireworks, etc. I have fond memories of those weekends. Playing with my cousins, eating yummy food, maybe swimming in the pool (if it was warm enough). We were essentially enjoying the freedoms that we have because of the sacrifice of many men and women.
Recently, I have learned that there has been a member of my mom's side of the family in every war this country has fought since the Revolutionary War. Wow. Also, there has been at least one person from every generation who has joined the armed forces and served our country...my sons generation included!!! (I have cousins who are old enough to be aunts and uncles to me and therefore their children could be like cousins to me...agewise). This puts a whole new spin on Memorial Day.
My Grandpa served for 2 years oversees during WWII. My mom was 4 years old. My Grandma just had her 7th baby 3 weeks before he left (my mom was #5). She (my Mom) did not see her Dad again until she was 6 years old. I don't know how my Grandma did it!?! I have a whole new level of respect for this woman and the pillar of strength that she was throughout her life. I am proud of my Grandpa's service to this country and I am equally proud of my Grandma's service to her family. Both exhibit selflessness. I was never able to thank them in person - Grandpa died when I was 6 and Grandma when I was 13. It is times like this that I wonder if one of those portholes exist (as Randy Alcorn describes in his book Deadline) and if Jesus allows my grandparents to get a glimpse of what is going on here...
My Dad is also a veteran. Thankfully he never personally experienced war. However, during Memorial Day Weekend his favorite memory is of when he first met my Mom. This year marked 42 years after their first dance (they met at a singles dance). Every year I thank him for asking Mom to dance and I thank her for saying 'yes' to Dad. I still cannot believe that they will be celebrating their 40th Anniversary this summer!!!
28 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
2 comments:
Their first dance? How sweet!!
Great perspective on the holiday. And what a great story to tell your kids! You are blessed to have such godly and honorable men in your lineage, to model integrity and valor and honor to your boys. Keep telling the stories.
And about Randy Alcorn: have you read Safely Home? LOVE THAT BOOK! Loved Deadline and its sequel too . . .
Post a Comment