I said I would write about Jeter's field trip this past Monday. Here is the abridged version.
The entire Kindergarten was going to Hershey's Chocolate World in the morning and then to a local park for a 'field day' in the afternoon. I chaperoned in the morning and participated in the afternoon. I was responsible for 6 children (3 boys and 3 girls) so naturally we buddied them up because it is easier to keep track of 3 pairs than 6 individuals. This meant that one boy and one girl had to hold hands. The boy ended up being my Jeter. Not ready for this. Thankfully he treated her just like he treated any of his friends - with respect. I was proud of his maturity. Then I heard one of his friends lean in and tease "Jeter has a girlfriend". I wanted to quickly correct the child but surprisingly chose to restrain myself and observe Jeter's response. He verbally said nothing but his nonverbals told his friend "Knock it off. You don't know what you are talking about and you are so not funny." Just like that too. Maybe those were my words to his nonverbals. Maybe his nonverbals said "Dude, my mom is standing right there". Can't think about that. Regardless, his friend stopped immediately. My nonverbals simultaneously rejoiced "That's my boy" and pleaded "Not yet God. Please not yet."
We made it through the Chocolate Tour twice without incident. Then we had the 30+ minute bus ride to deal with. There were two times that the high school teacher in me showed up. This was one of those times. The three girls under my care were just being silly with each other but I knew that the silliness had the potential of becoming annoying and disruptive. Things that you don't want on a bus ride. They received a couple of pleasant reminders from me and then IT happened - one girl decided to sit on the floor. Not safe. Definitely not okay. I immediately responded in a low but firm tone "(her name), get off the floor now. Don't you move out of that seat. Should you do so you will be moved. You will sit here (pointing to my seat) and I will sit there (pointing to her spot). Do you understand me?" She looked at me like a dear in headlights, nodded, and was perfectly behaved for the remainder of the trip. It was at this point that I realized I may have scared her into good behavior.
Once we arrived at the park, we had lunch and then I prepared to take care of the 'Three Legged Race' station. 13 groups of Kindergartners entered my station every 8 minutes. There is really not much else to say except that I discovered I can be an excellent actress displaying excitement, enthusiasm, encouragement, etc. when I really wanted to see what Jeter was doing, sit down, relax, and have a drink of water.
The second time 'high school' clashed with 'kindergarten' was when I was walking the 20 kindergartners from the field to the playground. Three of them started to get too far ahead of the group (for my level of comfort anyway). So I raised my voice and commanded "J--. A--. N--. BACK IT UP!" They stopped and backed up until they were with the group and we walked over without any further incident. Pleasantly pleased with myself, I caught a look from someone (a paid teacher's aid I think) which caused me to think that she might not be sure I should be caring for 5 and 6 year olds. When there are 20 of them, she is probably right. LOL.
24 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
2 comments:
I love it when the high school teacher shows up. :) But I know what you mean. It's kinda the reason I can't be in children's ministy too long. I think I would make all the four-year-olds cry.
I can so relate to this post! I was a HS teacher for 12 years then stayed home with my kids for 5 years, I remember going to Choc. World and Zoo America with my son's first grade class, and that HS teacher showed up several times with the group of boys I had. :) LOL!
BTW, I ended up going back to teach Elem. school, I love the younger kiddos....who would have thought???
Great post!
Post a Comment