This has been a L-O-N-G week. Technically, I know it is not truly longer than another week (hours/minutes/seconds) but it certainly felt that way.
Simms' brother EC and his wife KC came out for a visit. The last time EC was here was Christmas 2003 and KC has never been here before. So amidst my "springing" up the house I was also cleaning and getting it ready for their visit (which did not include doing laundry so you can only imagine how much of that I have to do!). Not like the lack of dust bunnies would bring them back any sooner (they live in Seattle) but it just seemed like the thing that I needed to do.
Papa and Mima were also coming down from NJ. Everyone was arriving Wednesday. We were also surprising Papa with a small impromptu "retirement party". For those of you who may be wondering, I didn't go crazy BUT I wish I started to plan sooner. I was kind of leaving the plans up to Simms until I realized his plans were "grilling and a cake". OhhhhhhhhhhhhhhKayyyyyyyy. What are we grilling? Sides? They are here for two days...menu? What kind of cake? Are you going to give a toast to Dad? How about his gift? Where does Jeter's swimming lesson fit into this? When is everyone getting here?
So as of this past weekend (approximately 4 days before they are all scheduled to arrive) I created two lists - one for getting ready for our guests (the cleaning) and a second one for the planning of this party. Now I am a planner and an organizer but I will admit I was getting a wee bit stressed. I knew I was internally stressed when I woke up at 4am on Tuesday, without an alarm, and got up to work on my lists. Even though there were technically 96 hours before they arrived, I only had about 20 "real clean time" hours available.
Praise God everything was completed with 15 minutes to spare before EC and KC walked through our front door (When Simms called home to tell me they were arriving 1-2 hours ahead of scheduled time I actually prayed that they would hit traffic!!!). You may be thinking "see...why were you concerned?" Do you realize what 15 minutes could mean? If there were a few more diaper changes, a couple of phone calls and/or a bad-hair day I would have been sunk. I typically give myself a cushion of 1-2 hours before guests are arriving. This helps with any delays that may occur and I have time for the little "last minute" details - like a little present in their room, some fresh flowers (it is spring), making a card, or just relaxing and listening to some music. The little details were left out this time around but it was all okay...
GOD'S GOALS WERE COMPLETED.
This is what I had to remember and focus on as I scrubbed the toilets and sinks, put away the dishes, dusted, vacuumed, marinaded the meat, prepared the fruit and salad, etc. What did He want to accomplish? Granted, I know that He has gifted me with the talents I have...but I do need to remember to use those things to simply facilitate what He has planned.
Conversations were good. Dad Campbell was extremely touched and blessed by the thoughtfulness (he is quite sentimental). We had a wonderful time with KC and EC. The boys just adore their aunt and uncle - and already miss them terribly. Most of all, we allowed the Love of Jesus to shine through...
THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.
11 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
2 comments:
Yep you are right....
"Most of all, we allowed the Love of Jesus to shine through...
THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT." Couldn't agree with you more, and this busy, planner type women tends to forget that. I am always reminded amidst my planning, organizing etc to keep the big picture about what it's all about. Thanks again for the reminder!
I wish that we could have been there! I REALLY REALLY DO! Instead, we were dealing with our sick little boy! However, we feel that God even had a plan with that - you were able to focus more on this family that you rarely see! We are always here! I am sad that I still have not met KC, but someday I will! :)
Post a Comment