06 May 2007

Life's Little Transitions

I like transitions. I know that may sound strange but I do. I like change. I like the newness and fresh feel that change can bring. Yes, sometimes change can be stretching and raw and a struggle but I tend to embrace it. Maybe this is why I like seasons and celebrate each season when it arrives. Since it is spring now, I enjoy being outdoors, tending to the flowerbeds and watching each new plant emerge with beauty and a new level of maturity.

In my youth, I would change the furniture in my room a couple times each year. I had the same furniture but it gave the room a fresh new feel to it. Now I am responsible for more than just one room. I cannot drastically change things all the time - that would be a waste of $$. But, here are some things I do pretty regularly:
  • change location of items on the counter tops in the kitchen
  • change the curtains or tablecloths in the kitchen and dining room
  • move a piece of furniture or 2 or 3 or 4.
  • reorganize items on display - like pictures or family heirlooms or the boys "artwork"
  • change flowers that are in a basket in the kitchen

Not everyone in our corner celebrates change in the same way I do. On any day of the week Simms knows that he can come home and find something different and he is usually OK with that. I think after 13-1/2 years he has stopped asking "why?". Jeter used to be upset by change but he's adapting well and is even starting to enjoy it. I'm sure Barber will follow suit too someday.

I believe this is one of the reasons why I enjoy and even celebrate the changes that occur in the lives of Jeter and Barber. One change that is fun to be a part of is how they relate to me and Simms and how that has changed and grown over time. When Barber was born Jeter became "Daddy's Boy". It was a gift because of the necessary attention that newborn Barber needed from me. Daddy certainly enjoyed his "little helper" and at times "shadow". Jeter has continued to be "Daddy's Helper" in all areas and Simms has become quite patient knowing that although the projects will take much longer to complete, the investment he is making is well worth the time. In the last few months, Barber has begun to want to be with and emulate his Daddy too. Interestingly enough, he is now the same age that Jeter was when Barber was born. He enjoys spending time with me during the day and doing things with Mommy but when Daddy comes home from work, Barber is intently interested in being with him. Meanwhile, Jeter has been growing in his desire to spend time with me. He even likes Sudoku puzzles now -- he's starting with kid friendly ones. This weekend he ran errands with me...for 4+ hours! He never complained. We talked and sang and giggled together as we made the necessary purchases and returns in preparation for our guests this week and the ongoing projects that spring brings. What a blessing it was to spend time with him again! I am so overwhelmed by the gift of these boys and grateful that being MOM was part of His Master Plan for my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot about how you would change your room around growing up! I should have warned JC about it ahead of time! Change is good, and I am glad that you enjoy embracing it.

I am enjoying taking naps when I can...but I guess that it what happens when you are pregnant! :)

Erin said...

You are such an encouragement to me!! Being a mom of boys and all.

And, by the way your cake turned out AWESOME!! And, the cookies, too!!! Maybe you should do it on the side. . .

Anonymous said...

Being a mom is a joy and an precious gift.
BTW, found your blog from Classic Mamma, and see that you too are a fellow central Pa bloggin buddy.
Nice to meet you!! :)


http//samismom22.wordpress.com

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...